Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using bottles to cover seedlings?

Hi everyone
    I know that you can use clear plastic bottles to protect seedlings from slugs but could I use plastic milk bottles instead, the ones which have opaque (sp?) plastic?
    Thanks
    Bernie aka DDL
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

They might cut the light levels a bit Bernie - that is a guess on my part though. Sure the experts will be along soon to give us the right answer.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

will work as a mini-greenhouse but you will lose the sun.try using both & see how you get on nothing ventured nothing gained

Comment

I use recyled milk bottles and they work fine, if they get too hotor there is too much moisture just remove the lids.
        I also use them for plant labels, cut them up and use a permanent marker. If you cut them to a decent size, you can just cut the top of the label off to write on a different variety and the sowing date.
        Love a freebie
        http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

They will heat up OK but you may lose a lot of sunlight.
          We use clear plastic bottles ourselfs.

Comment

We take the top and the bottom off of the milk bottles, using the centre bit to act as slug deterent and mini plant protector.
            Works with the white bottles as well as the opaque ones.

If you want to get really clever, try using pinking shears or cutting vertical slits in the top section and folding alternate pieces over to make it look like a castle is a more effective slug deterent.
            Mclaren Pit Crew (MCP) .

Comment

Many thanks everyone - I particularly like the idea cutting the tops and bottoms off to form a collar - I knew I could use them for something! Bernie aka DDL
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X