Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about tilthing etc.....

hi there

another question for you all, i have dug my plot a couple of times and added manure and covered it to warm, my soil was very very poor and i have bought some fish,blood & bone as recommended to me to dig in, as today is a lovely day down here, i am gonna dig some in, how many times shall i dig over and tilth before planting out? I am hoping to be ready to plant by the end of the frost which is middle of May.

Also,i bought some onion sets, i was thinking of planting them soon, but my silly question is, which way up (i hear you all laughing!!!) are the roots at the pointy end????????? (to speak) i have looked everywhere for an answer, but when you have only previously bought from Tesco's ready to be eaten, its a hard one.........

thanks - the very very very novice Suashy!!

Originally posted by squashysu View Post

Also,i bought some onion sets, i was thinking of planting them soon, but my silly question is, which way up (i hear you all laughing!!!) are the roots at the pointy end????????? (to speak) i have looked everywhere for an answer, but when you have only previously bought from Tesco's ready to be eaten, its a hard one.........
    Hi Squashysu,

I'm afraid I can't answer the first question but I am sure some much more clever Grapes will be along soon. I can, however, answer the second one. Onion sets go in the ground with the pointy end up and just level with the soil, so that just the tip is poking out. There is a link here to the Gardeners world website which will show you how it is done and there are many other useful videos that you may need in the future.
    Happy onion planting,
    Clare
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

thanks so much clare,

i am such a jelly head! but you have to learn somewhere ha ha.

Otherwise they may as well be Ozze Onions!

thanks again

Su

Comment

Originally posted by squashysu View Post
        thanks so much clare,

i am such a jelly head! but you have to learn somewhere ha ha.

Otherwise they may as well be Ozze Onions!

thanks again

Su
        No problem Sue, I'm sure you're not a jelly head

As you said, we all have to learn somehow and here one of the friendliest places to find help. This time next year, you'll be passing advice on to other newbies I'm sure.
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I've been adding homemade compost to my beds each time I go to the plot and turning over each time as well. I think doing it a few times is the best way to get well-aerated soil as well as a fine tilth. I bash it with the back of a rake when I've done digging to try and break down the big lumps.

It depends how sandy your soil is of course. You may only need to do it a few times. Mine is quite clay-y so I'm just keeping at it till it looks a good growing level - it's never going to be like compost, after all. and of course, you needs a few lumps and stones for drainage.

Comment

thanks QOFC

well i have spent the last 3 hours on it, its not a large plot as in my back garden, i have been bashing and bashing and clearing the chalk!! unfortunately i live at the back of the hills and it is really really chalky,but when i uncovered it today it was easy going and not clay like at all.

I think i will give it more compost before planting due to the alkaline and some more bone & blood.

Thanks for your help, i now just have to look at companion planting so that i get good crops

SS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X