No announcement yet.

beat the blight?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers Paulottie, i've sent an email to administrator so should get it sorted. Is there a way i can get an alert when someone replies to a post or posts??

Comment

Yes, you look in thread tools at the top and select 'subscribe to this thread'

Comment

Blight is usually a bummer in warm wet years (last year for example!) but most years it's not a problem. Please, new growers, be ready for it but don't assume every little crinkle in your tom leaves is blight. I didn't get it last year. Toms in greenhouse, spuds outdoors but no problem. It's a new year, it will bring its own problems, but I'm not going to go looking for them!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

For the last 3 years Iv'e tried, Bordeaux mixture and Plastic covers and always lost the Toms. This year I have resolved NO TOMATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Even if blight arrives you may still get a crop. I got it last year like most people and careful removal of affected leaves and plants worked to halt the spread. I lost some fruit which is always disappointing but the crop was reasonable overall.

It is much harder to keep checking if your plants are on allotment that you can't regularly visit, however. Mine are in the garden and I can get to them morning and evening. I also know what the first signs of blight look like.

For growing outdoor and organically I can only advise having several different varieties and spreading the plants around in different places if you are able. Try starting your plants off sooner rather than later and look for small bush types and early maturing varieties.

Comment

I think by the time you get a visual diagnosis on your plants that it is Blight, the plant is infected almost to the untreatable stage. I believe the best treatment to be a Copper based fungicide.

It's very disappointing when you see just what it does to your plants.
              I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

As someone whose first tomato year is this year this thread terrifies me

Comment

I had absolutely no problem with blight the first two years I grew tomatoes, even with a farm growing potatoes only a few hundred yards away - but last year I lost all my home-grown tomato plants and all but one shop-bought one to what I assume was blight. I guess it was the constant wet weather last year that was to blame, so let's just keep our fingers crossed that this year is better

I also have Tumbling Tom in hanging baskets in my conservatory, where they should stay reasonably safe from the wind and rain that help spread blight - but I'm still persevering with outdoor toms (Ferline and Sub Arctic Plenty) because I don't have much cat-free space indoors

Comment

I've grown tomato plants for about 5 years now, and last year was the first year I've ever had blight. Last year was also the first year I had my allotment! This year I'm keeping some at home, see if that makes a difference? As Cutecumber says, at least I can keep a closer eye on them then!

Comment

As someone whose first tomato year is this year this thread terrifies me
                      For goodness sake try not to worry about something that may never happen.

Are you growing for commercial purposes? I guess not. A failed "hobby" crop is disappointing but really not the end of the world. You just take it on the chin and try again next year.

People grow tomatoes outdoors in the UK successfully every year even when there is blight around.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post

Are you growing for commercial purposes? I guess not. A failed "hobby" crop is disappointing but really not the end of the world. You just take it on the chin and try again next year.

People grow tomatoes outdoors in the UK successfully every year even when there is blight around.
                        But i might starve with out tomato and basil soup

Comment

Then you might have to go to the supermarket and buy some

Comment

Then you might have to go to the supermarket and buy some
                            Noooooooooo

Comment

I know you're right, but apparently there's been blight on the allotment for the last 4 years and no-one's had any luck. One of the old chaps very helpfully told me this last year, after we'd been chatting for an hour as I planted out all my tomatoes - he could have told me before I started!

It was a real shame as I lost all my plants (4 different varieties, about 15 plants) and the only toms I got were from the couple of plants I had in the greenhouse.

maybe I will try and bodge something together from clear plastic.

Comment

what IS blight ? we tomato and potato growers all know (only to well) about blight. but I want to know how is 'works' and what it really is?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X