Which way up?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way up?

Please can someone remind me which way the "scar" on the bean seed goes when you plant it in a pot? Facing up or down?
    Thank you.

scar side down, I reckon

Comment

If you mean the scar on broad beans, we put them scar end down.

Comment

Don't think it matters much..I stand mine in with it to the side by habit.

Comment

It really doesn't matter. The bean knows what to do!
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Let's face it, they've bean doing it for ages!

I place mine in sideways, kind of on their end.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I sow them with the scar to one side, and if you look carefully there is a little dimple at one end of the scar, that is at the bottom. Medwyn Williams uses the same method with great success.

Not that it makes much difference.

Comment

I put it to the side too. However, in nature, the thing just ripens and drops to the ground any old how. They cope. Trust 'em.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

i per germinate the seeds first the root usually comes out first then i pot them up after a little while. all the seeds are pre germinated in a small plastic box i put moist kitchen paper in then put in the seeds covered with another layer of moist kitchen paper then i put the box loosely raped into a plastic bag then i put it in the airing cupboard and as we have a solid fuel heating the press is always warm i started pre germinating all large seeds sweetcorn beans etc because the first year i started growing veg i potted up seeds and a lot rotted my fault as i must of over watered them . i need less seed now as 99.9% of the seed germinates and makes a plant
                  one years weed is seven years seed

Comment

Originally posted by nemo View Post
                    i per germinate the seeds first the root usually comes out first then i pot them up after a little while. all the seeds are pre germinated in a small plastic box i put moist kitchen paper in then put in the seeds covered with another layer of moist kitchen paper then i put the box loosely raped into a plastic bag then i put it in the airing cupboard and as we have a solid fuel heating the press is always warm i started pre germinating all large seeds sweetcorn beans etc because the first year i started growing veg i potted up seeds and a lot rotted my fault as i must of over watered them . i need less seed now as 99.9% of the seed germinates and makes a plant
                    Blimey I just sprinkle and spray water, on window sill over radiator. Very successful even the large mangetout seed.
                    Last edited by ClayGarden; 15-04-2008, 08:31 PM.

Comment

My method a bit more simple: Put compost into pot, make hole with pencil, drop seed into hole, cover over, leave them to it.
                      si'sraisedbed

Comment

I'm with si'sraisedbed with this easy method.

However, this week I've got it down to even easier - my other half, Bean (he's an accountant!) did all of the bean sowing for me. It's the first time he's got involved in this way so I was really chuffed. And I just sat there with a glass of wine! What a life!
                        Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X