whats F1 mean?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats F1 mean?

I keeping seeing this about meaning some premium seed variety i presume. Is that what it means, and are there any refs about what the 'F' and the '1' actually means?

Hi ClayGarden

here's some info. The Hybrid Delemma | Tips & Techniques
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

F1 means it's a first-generation cross between two distinct varieties, in order to get the best characteristics of both parents.

The main difference between an F1 variety and a "normal" one is that the F1 won't breed true - its offspring will have a random mix of the parent breeds' characteristics, so could be great or could be... mediocre. Thus if you save the seed, the results won't be reliable, plus F1 seeds tend to be more expensive as they have to be meticulously bred from the parent varieties - so F1 varieties cost you both ways. Even so, the benefits can be worth it if the F1 is disease-resistant or otherwise superior

Comment

The generations occurring after a cross are given or assigned a number, with the first cross being F1, or first generation, the second filial generation, is F2, the next F3 etc, etc.

F= Filial
        1 = 1st generation
        I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

Thanks, a lot. I understand it now, especially with my genetics algorithm history

Comment

One other point worth making about F1 seed is that with some crops eg cabbages, caulis they tend to all turn in at the same time!...very desirable for producers...not so for amateurs. I sow sucessionally to spread the harvest

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X