hardy cabbages

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardy cabbages

i got some cabbages ready to plant. out are they frost hardy or should i wait a bit .
    thanks

john

Hi Grasser
    Really depends what variety they are and also where abouts in the uk you are. You could plant them out somewhere sheltered and maybe cover them with fleece til they get their roots down and start growing away strongly. If you have no pressure space wise, I'd be tempted to leave them a while yet.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

i put out my ruby ball cabbages on the weekend they have 6 leaves on them and ive put bell cloches over them.yhey have come from greenhouse and cold frame
      Last edited by hawthorns; 15-04-2008, 09:39 PM.
      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

thanks guess i leave them a few weeks im in doncaster yorkshire
        thanks john

Comment

Mine are out but covered with fleece. They seem happier than there were in the greenhouse where the temps were just too high during the day.

Comment

ive had wheelers cabbage in since febuary not under cover and they are doing fine. i live in east yorkshire think they must be an over winter cabbage as i grew them from seed in december that a friend gave me they have 10 leaves on now
            joanne geldard

Comment

Most, if not all, cabbages are hardy, but if they've been sown and raised under cover (indoors or in greenhouse) they will need hardening off before planting outside. You will also need to consider protecting them from pigeons and slugs.

Comment

thanks you all guess ill plant them out after i harden them up.[with fleece over them] does it matter if the fleece touches them, or will i have to put some kind of frame up first. thanks
                john

Comment

John - the fleece won't hurt them, just drape it over the top of your cabbages. The warm moist conditions will encourage slugs, so take precautions.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

thanks two sheds never thought of that. wat would you do against slugs
                    john

Comment

There is an organic slug pellet now, available from B&Q. but I still go with 'slug pubs' - I like the idea of the little blighters drowning happy!

I'm near Doncaster (Thorne way) and I'll be putting my hardened off brassicas out this weekend. We've finally got a forecast that doesn't boast rain!
                      Cheers

T-lady

Comment

iam from rawcliffe nr you t lady,its a small world
                        joanne geldard

Comment

thanks t lady think i will do the same
                          john
                          ps i live in a place called south kirkby doo you know it?

Comment

Hey there Joanne and John. I didn't know either Rawcliffe or South Kirkby but you've given me an excuse to look at a map!

I didn't get the brassicas out though - got all distracted by possing on tomatoes. Did plant out the Globe Artichokes and a couple of fruit bushes, most satisfying!
                            Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X