dead cabbage seedlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead cabbage seedlings

i have planted several types of cabbage in my greenhouse in multi purpose compost and watered them regulaly they all germinated no problem but just as they are about to get their second leaves they all go brown shrivel up and die. could it be that i have used a greenhouse heater and they have got to warm if not what could it be??????

PG
    I am having the same problem and I think we are suffering from the same thing WE ARE DROWNERS, I suspect like me you are thinking the greenhouse is hotter than it is therefore you need to water, my onions,cucumbers,squash and parsley have all grown well but this year I cannot get past the three leaf stage with the cabbage or cauli's

Comment

"Watering regularly" rings alarm bells. They only need to be watered when they are getting dry. The idea is to keep them moist not wet. I sow in cell trays and give a good soak. From then on they are watered by being stood in a tray containing about half an inch depth of water when they are getting dry, not before.

Comment

I believe that caulis and cabbages etc are more hardy and can withstand a bit of harsh treatment, they don't like the mollycoddling that toms and cues prefer. Maybe once they are up, bung em in a cold frame or sheltered spot outside instead til they are ready to go out? Mine seem far happier in the frame. And I think they don't like too much water either, just water when they are almost dried out.

Sure someone will tell us the correct way!

janeyo

Comment

There's a reason why cabbages and caulis are traditional British veg rather than toms and aubergines - they like cool weather

Keep them cool and don't water them too heavily, and you should be fine...

Comment

What they said...

Water when sown and then when really dry; and you can keep them in a cold frame - they will still germinate.

Comment

Most veg grown on the lottie do not grow well in the greenhouse especially if it's heated. I usually start seed off in a cool greenhouse simply for a more constant temperature, but as soon as seeds show their heads above ground they moved out onto sheltered outdoor staging. Have not lost a single outdoor seed or plant this year yet.

Comment

thanks fo all the replys i think i knoe the problem now i have been guilty of both keeping them to warm and then overwatering hopefully this is problem solved thanks again everyone

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X