Can I start Swedes inside?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I start Swedes inside?

Just looking at some seeds for Swedes this morning but it said to plant the outside. Would it be possible to start them off in greenhouse and then plant them out later in veg patch when I have room?

That's what I've done! Never tried it in the past but my crop was poor this year so I thought I'd try some early and try some a bit later sown in situ!
    Last edited by Snadger; 17-04-2008, 02:29 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks. If I can find room in the greenhouse I'll give them a go. If not do you think I could start some off in pots or troughs outside?

Comment

I started swedes off in modules last year and then planted them out when they were a fair size. They transplanted perfectly and I didn't lose a plant. I had a good crop of swedes all winter.
        'People don't learn and grow from doing everything right the first time... we only grow by making mistakes and learning from them. It's those who don't acknowledge their mistakes who are bound to repeat them and do no learn and grow. None of us are done making mistakes or overflowing with righteous wisdom. Humility is the key.'
        - Thomas Howard

Comment

i have swede sown in toilet rolls in the green house they have just broken the surface
          my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

i started swedes in greenhouse last year - potted on to 3.5" pots before planting out so they were a fair size when they went in the ground - the slugs had a feast .....

i've started exactly the same this year - determined to beat the slugs this time round!
            http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

I haven't grown Swede for years, but have a crop not long out of the ground which I'll thin out and make another row. I know it's best to eat them as fresh as possible, but is there a good way to keep them, or is freezing the best way.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mcsee; 18-04-2008, 06:12 AM.
              I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

Keeping them in the ground is the best way of storing them; I've found! But then I freeze very few of my veg so if that works; why not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X