Sow by dates

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sow by dates

What is the real risk of sowing seeds that are a year past their "sow by" date? Will they really not grow?

Take a chance, I've got loads out of date seeds, some grow some don't! I give them a few weeks then get rid and replace if no signs of life.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Try germinating them on damp kitchen towel then you'll know if they'll grow. They might have reduced germination rate, or no rate at all!
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have sown seeds many times that have been out of date and they normally germinate (as long as they are not mouldy) so go for it. Good luck.

Comment

The only seeds (which I know about )which do not keep well at all are parsnips.
          New packet for them each year!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I tried old seeds (green 2 years out of date, yellow only a year) for courgettes this year before I bought fresh - and I have a green courgette almost ready for wating in the minigreenhouse, with a yellow having about 4 leaves on it, and 2 more yellows and a green with their first true leaf through on all (3 seperate sowings).
            I really was all ready to buy new seed (1 packet) this year, but instead I'll have 2 types for nothing!!

Comment

Some of my tomatoes were on their third year this year - 2 years out of date. I think every one came up. Brassicas are good keepers too. It's always worth a punt when you look at the cost of seed.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I totally ignore sell by dates and don't have any problems. If you keep your seeds dry and cool then most will be fine. As one of the above posts says, you can always do a germination test early and then you still have time to buy new if needed - note I've never bothered with the test and have always been fine.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Like the others said. Just try them anyway. Scientists have actually germinated seeds 100s of years old.

Comment

As Alison pointed out... keep them in a cool and dry place and away from insects and mice, preferably keep foil packets shut. (those ones that are loose in the paper packet in a plastic bag some will keep for years.) If you chuck them in the greenhouse under the staging they won't!

Apart from parsnips; I find that French bean seeds don't store very well.

Comment

I've grown them from the same packet for at least 3 years Paul. The packets always have more in than I need. I get decent germination from old Frenchies.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I don't even look at Sow By Dates. I only buy new seed when I run out of old. My parsnips are last year's stock, and they are germinating fine.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X