Wilted Brasica seedlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilted Brasica seedlings

Having sowed my first rotation of Brasica seedlings in unheated propogators which were placed in the in GH 2.5 wks ago (late i know but was abroad thru March), I found yesterday that most had wilted badly, whilst others showed signs of distress - leaves curled and pale at edges.

Becasue of the sudden increase in temp yesterday i wondered if they have got a bit too hot and dry so gave them a light watering. Tonight i get home to find them pale and flattened, some would say beyond help. Again another hot day in the GH.

I am now faced with having to buy plugs to make up on lost time, something i was desperate to avoid

Could it have been too hot too suddenly for such small seedlings - 2cm being the biggest or does anyone have any alternate ideas for me please?
    Last edited by Muddy-G; 23-04-2008, 08:01 PM.
    Cheers

Gary

Dont let the weeds grow under your feet

You don't say what brasicas you were growing. It is by no means to late to sow most brasicas for winter use. I won't be sowing my winter cabbage till mid next month, same with PSB and sprouts.

Comment

Just had a thought, don't try to grow brasicas in a greenhouse. It will bw far to hot and they don't need it. they are hardy plants and providing they have been started off outside they won't even be bothered by frost.

Comment

Hi - we always start them out in the green house and then they wilt and then we put them in a cold frame and then they perk up nice and happy again. Every year. NEVER learn. I always forget that just because I don't want to be outside as it's too cold, it doesn't mean the plants are of a similar mind...

Comment

Cold frame OR even in pots/modules on your patio or path - as long as the birds don't peck them they'll be fine.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My cabbage sprouts and brocolli are started of in the greenhouse and then once through potted on and live on the coal bunker where they get some sun but are protected. I only water when the soil is really dry and today did not because it rained on them. They look as good as my allotment buddy that i share a plot with who bought his before i could tell him i had got him some. Wish i could post you my spare stock good luck try again

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
              Just had a thought, don't try to grow brasicas in a greenhouse. It will bw far to hot and they don't need it. they are hardy plants and providing they have been started off outside they won't even be bothered by frost.
              Hi Gojiberry

intersting about not starting them in the GH. my only concern is that this time last year i had plants approx 10cm high from seed, ready to plant out in the ground for cropping in June/July. Cauli "All Year Round" and Calabrese that is. I'd very happy if I sow now and still achieve a crop in the same time frame. is this likely you think?
              Last edited by Muddy-G; 26-04-2008, 05:13 PM.
              Cheers

Gary

Comment

Cabbage, sprouts Calabrese, Cauli, all dead except the odd little soldier. Damping down I fear. Will sow fresh and try again. Question is GH or ground given that I have pretty heavy clay based soil
                Last edited by Muddy-G; 26-04-2008, 05:19 PM.
                Cheers

Gary

Comment

I start my cabbages in the green house and yesterday found one them wilted. I watered it again and found it made it even worse. I thought it was a gonner, but re-potted it in drier compost and guess what.... it's now perked up!
                  Too much water, it was drowning!

Comment

I think the greenhouse is the problem Muddy G. These are very hardy plants and will get on fine outside. I've sown mine in modules in a sheltered part of the garden and they're doing fine.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Almost certainly too warm; brassicas need very little watering. They come up really quickly even when sown in our cool garage; so just put some more out and they will be up in a week or so.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X