mushroom growing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mushroom growing

hi my oh wants me to grow him some mushrooms! got no idea how to do this but willing to give it a go ,any ideas and tips would be great ta joanne
    joanne geldard

I've been investigating growing mushrooms too, all a bit confusing, I'll be looking at your replies too Jo,Jo.

Comment

Hi

I'm another one that was looking at mushroom growing today but got confused so will be watching this post with great interest. Hopefully, someone will be along soon to enlighten us.

CADS

Comment

Best to buy a kit with instructions. (they are very easy using a kit)

Ian

Comment

Hmmm.... quite a few of us are keen.

Comment

I started a kit off last weekend. I have to put the casing compost on about Tuesday next week then it is wait for the mushrooms.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

i found the boxes wernt that good...im getting some that you put in old logs next year

Comment

I've been looking at the plugs that you insert drilled logs. I'm more than a little impatient though, the ones I've seen take 12 - 18 months to appear after planting. Humph!
                Last edited by amandaandherveg; 24-04-2008, 07:19 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

i grew some in a kit once, got a good crop from them

Comment

my kit bred little black flies on it ....had to put it in the greenhouse out of the house

Comment

Originally posted by markwcel View Post
                      my kit bred little black flies on it ....had to put it in the greenhouse out of the house
                      don't know what that was, i had mine in the loft conversion in a dark corner and they came on fine

Comment

i bought the spawn infused dowels of shitaki, oyster and another type. Went trogging out in to the woods to find just the right wood (needs to be fresh cut hard wood in dormant season of an exact size n shape). Then got my handy fella to drill the holes and inserted the dowels, which were then sealed with wax. All very very long winded and pain staking..plus i now have to sit n wait a long long time n hope something happens.
                        I wish id have bought the ready spawned logs which are alot more expensive, but i know why now!!!
                        Have a horrid feeling nothing is going to happen!
                        I have no idea what im doin!

Comment

I've got a kit at home, it developed a bit of the white "fluff" needed to grow mushrooms, and finally (after about 6-8 weeks) some have started to grow. The kit cost me about £5-6 and so far it looks like I'll get about 6 mushrooms from it this crop.

Followed the instructions and filled it with water, put the smelly layer in first, then the other layer, covered it over and left it somewhere warm - seems strange, but the best place was on top of the beer fridge in the utility room. Then moved them onto the floor in a dark corner of teh utility room once the white fluff started to appear.

Kept it well watered (but not too wet) using a mister and here we are today witha few mushrooms growing. One of them is about an inch and a half in diameter - not sure it'll feed the two of us though.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

dont htink i will bother.it sounds a pain and the rate we go through mushrooms it does not sound like you get many x
                            joanne geldard

Comment

mind u the taste is absolutly delicious... proper mushroom taste... i left the second one that grew and it reached 6" nice with butter and pepper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X