Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why does nothing seem to be growing in my plot??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does nothing seem to be growing in my plot??

OK so I know I am a begginner at this but thought something would happen by now! I planted some potatoes maybe 4 weeks ago- nothing showing, planted some onions as well- cant see anything there! About 2 weeks ago planted some pak choi, beetroot, perpetual spinach and can see some seeds germinating but so teensy are hard to miss. Also planted some radish 2 weeks ago and the pack said germinates in 10 days or something but no sign yet! It s just so frustrating to plant all this stuff and not see anything. The soil is fairly well draining if stoney. Is it maybe because its been on the cold side and things just havent dare emerge?? thought my tatties would at least be showing. The only things that have any life are the raspberry canes i planted 2 weeks ago.

Don't know about your weather but it is still a bit chilly here to expect quick appearance of stuff sown outdoors.

How deep did you plant your spuds? They can take a wee while to get to the surface then they grow like crazy.

Be patient, and make sure you are keeping slugs off by whatever means you choose - they demolish seedlings faster than you blink!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Yeh- it is still a bit nippy.
      Our lottie is in a bit of a frost pocket , so whatever is OK in our garden isn't ok on the lottie.

Go on holiday for a couple of weeks and then you get back they'll all be growing well- and plenty of weeding to be done!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Patience glasshopper, all good things come to those who wait.

He says, itching to get outside.
        Last edited by HeyWayne; 25-04-2008, 07:23 AM.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I know a good cream for that Wayne!

Comment

Don't worry about your radishes. Mine are ment to germinate in 8 days but it took almost two weeks. They are looking good now.
            Spinach took ages to germinate too but they are good now.

One thing that has annoyed us a bit is that we have had a lot of wet and cold weather and all our broad bean seeds went mouldy in the ground so we sowed another 56 indoors. Then yesterday was saw that 36 of the mouldy ones have germinated . Looks like I'm going to have quite a few young broad beans plants to give away now.

Like the others have said, this cold weather don't help so your seed will take longer to germinate.
            Last edited by Mike and Louise; 25-04-2008, 01:39 PM. Reason: I can't bloody spell.

Comment

Mrs Baggins

I am sure everything will pop up and say hi very soon. You are a true gardener - impatient!!!!

Tammy
              Tammy x x x x
              Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

I had noticed that most of our raspberries we had taken to France hadn't started sprouting.
                I knew they had been pot bound when they were given to us and many were likely to be dead, so I wasn't surprised to find that only a few had taken.

Yesterday I bought a pot of 10 more to replace the old ones. Got them home feeling pleased with myself and now it has suddenly struck me that there are 3 different varieties out there, and maybe the others are actually viable after all- just later varieties!!
                Oh well- just need to munch our way through about 40 lots of raspberry canes!!!

( think we will go down well with our neighbours out there!)

Just goes to teach me a lesson for being impatient!
                ( although....maybe they are dead after all????) Time will tell.

Comment

Broad beans - My seed went mouldy once and then grew, how does that happen?
                  In the winds of late some have snapped almost all the way through, just a thread hanging on and still they are growing like mad!
                  Toughies or what!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X