Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Carrots

Hi all,

I purchased a few carrot seeds yesterday but I've never grown them before (actually I've never grown anything beore ). I needed a bit of advice from all the gurus out there I purchased the organic, Alan Titchmarsh Nantes 2 seeds from homebase. Do I grow each seed in each cell of a seeding tray? How long does it take to germinate? Also, I plan to grow these in containers, any idea what minimum container size I would require if they are to grow to full size. How much time does it take from seed to harvest? Lastly, since it is the root we're interested in, how do we know when it is ready to be pulled out?

It mentions at the back of the packet that I can grow a few seeds at a time if I plan to pull them out early or thin them out later if I want them to grow full size. Does this mean that I can say put 4-5 seeds in each cell of a seeding tray with no thinning required if I plan to pull them out when they are young (they would be perfect for salad

Thanks for all the help in advance and sorry for the long post

Wow loads of questions lol.

Do I grow each seed in each cell of a seeding tray?
    Some people do this, but we personally believe that all root crops should be grown straight in the ground/pots, thus avoiding any possible root damage during transplanting.

How long does it take to germinate?
    How long is a piece is string? lol. Depends on the variety but I think the average is about 7-10 days. Although saying that, it is weather dependant too. Our's took 18 days to germinate. Sowed them on April 10 and they started to germinate today, April 28.

Also, I plan to grow these in containers, any idea what minimum container size I would require if they are to grow to full size.
    This depends on the root length. We grow Intermediate's (average length roots) but some carrots can grow to a foot long. Pick a container that is deep enough. If you look at our site you will see that our kids are growing thier own carrots in big square tubs. They are 12" square and 18" deep.

How much time does it take from seed to harvest?
    Again this depends on the variety and weather conditions but according to our book the average time from sowing to harvest is 12-16 weeks.

Lastly, since it is the root we're interested in, how do we know when it is ready to be pulled out?
    With our carrots we just pull back the soil around the top of the carrot to see how big the top of the carrot is. If it looks big eneough then it usally is ready to pull up. You will get to know this yourself after you have grown/pulled a few.

It mentions at the back of the packet that I can grow a few seeds at a time if I plan to pull them out early or thin them out later if I want them to grow full size. Does this mean that I can say put 4-5 seeds in each cell of a seeding tray with no thinning required if I plan to pull them out when they are young
    Not too sure about this as we always let our carrots reach full size before pulling them up. I suppose you could grow a few close together if you are going to pull them up when they are small. If you want to grow them to full size then you will have to thin them out so only one is left.
    We grow ours straight in the ground by thinly sowing them in rows. Once they have germinted we look to see if some are a bit too close to each other, and it is those that we thin out. At the end we have all the carrots spaced out so they are about 4-5" apart.

Also, a lot of books and people say that carrots hate compost and manure. Well the variety we grow (see site) do very well in compost. We have never had problems with them growing in compost before. The tubs that our kids are growing thier's in have just compost in them.
    Last edited by Mike and Louise; 28-04-2008, 10:25 AM. Reason: Damm spelling mistakes lol

Comment

Well, not having been successful with carrots before (pre-warning), definitely DON'T sow into modules - they don't like root disturbance. So sow them direct into their final position.

I sowed a good handful into a deep pot of compost to harvest as baby carrots (much like you want) and will thin out gradually.

Proper carrot growing peeps should be along soon with proper advice.

Comment

Hi
        Not that I am a proper carrot grower; but anyway...

Putting them into cells is all very well; but when you pot them on, the main risk is that the roots are difficult to get straight; thus the carrots end up in very amusing shapes. this is great for kids but not so good for actually eating.

The second problem is the disturbance attracts the biggest carrot problem, the carrot fly.

So, as you are going to be growing carrots; and only carrots - my advice is:

Fill the pots that the carrots are going to be in with compost; mix in a little sand if you have any.

Sow your carrot seeds so that you will end up with about 1 per square inch of soil. Don't be too manic about this - they will push each other apart if they have to.

Pop some fleece over the top of the pot, secured with big elastic bands. Make it loose enough so that the carrot tops can grow.

Then, leave it alone for about 3 months.

By then, you should have medium sized roots that you can start to harvest. Pick ones to harvest so that the others can continue growing. Put the fleece back on every time.

If you do this every 4 weeks, you could well be self sufficient in carrots forever. Depending on how many carrots you eat of course. If you have a pet donkey, you may well have to sow more.

Carrot seed does not keep from year to year very well, just so as you know.
        Last edited by zazen999; 28-04-2008, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks Mike, Louise and Winged One. I'm a bit confused. As both of you mentioned, I'll not put them in seeding trays but directly into the final container. However, you did mention to thin them out, won't this cause root disturbance when thinning them out? Or do you just discard the weaker ones? Sorry for my ignorance

Comment

Thanks zazen, how often do you water them? The back of the pack says they like direct sunlight. Can I water it through the fleece or do I need to pull it back everytime I water

Comment

Water through the fleece, every day when it is hot and every other when it isn't. The good thing is it will drain out if it isn't needed.

Comment

Thanks zazen, really helpful

Comment

Or you can keep it on a tray and fill that every day. It will suck the water up. This does encourage longer roots as it happens; so if you have suitable space and trays - it's worth setting it up like this from the start.

Comment

Sorry, when I said thin them out, I meant take out a few that are a reasonable size to eat (that will be barely a taste initially, and large enough for a couple of bites later on) - and these are then eaten. Thinnings are not planted on elsewhere.

As for causing root disturbance to the still growing ones, I think once you are slow and careful about pulling, then the ones staying put should be fine.

Is that what you were asking?

BTW - I like Zazen's idea with the fleece cover - I may pinch that tip thanks.

Comment

No problem; I did all my first year of gardening in containers; so learnt alot from that experience!!! Mainly how to deter flippin' carrot fly!

I do have another idea up my sleeve; I'll try it out and report back to the vine. I wasn't well this weekend so I'm not sure whether it was the fever or a stroke of genius...only time will tell.

Comment

Fleece does increase the temperature around the plants significantly - you will need to water more often than you think. Check the fleece regularly and patch any holes if you are using it to keep out carrot fly.

My advice, since you've never grown them before, is to leave one pot uncovered as an experiment. Although carrot fly is endemic, you may be lucky.

It's worth finding out whether you need that fleece or not as it does add another bit of hassle to your watering routine and is not ideal in a hot summer.

Compost in large containers with a proper drainage layer in the bottom will not soak up water from saucers - you'll give them a good drink from the top. Don't keep them wet - they put on lots of leaf rather than root - damp to moist is fine.

Comment

I've never been able to grow carrots successfully - the slugs get the seedlings, carrot fly gets the rest. (If I put fleece on, the slugs love the warm moist environment)

This year, it's war:
                          • carrots sown in pots (because my soil is very stony)
                          • because pots dry out quick, I am ...
                          • sinking the pots in the soil on the lottie
                          • covering all with voile (net curtain)
                          • taking slug precautions
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            I've never been able to grow carrots successfully - the slugs get the seedlings, carrot fly gets the rest. (If I put fleece on, the slugs love the warm moist environment)

This year, it's war:
                            • carrots sown in pots (because my soil is very stony)
                            • because pots dry out quick, I am ...
                            • sinking the pots in the soil on the lottie
                            • covering all with voile (net curtain)
                            • taking slug precautions
                            I've just conjured up a vision of a wartime belle with a WRP hard hat on and a stern face! Go on TS, you show em!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X