Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you class as a "block" when planting celery?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you class as a "block" when planting celery?

Just looked at the packet of celery seed as my seedlings seem very slow to get to the first set of true leaves stage (wondering when I should prick them out - they just look too weeny at mo). Anyway got a shock as it mentions planting in a block to protect centres of the plants from getting stringy. When I plant my sweetcorn in a block it has to make do with being in two rows as I plan my plot very much in rows - will this be sufficient for the celery? Surely the outside plants will get stringy anyway? I know this isnt a clear question but celery is new to me and no-one I know has grown it before either so any advice would be appreciated.On the rows either side will be carrots and peas. The variety is Loretta F1.

Thanks.

Tammy
    Tammy x x x x
    Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

I just grew mine in rows last year and then wrapped them in cardboard to get them to grow longer stems. After all that they were stringy and a lot of the plant got wasted. I only made soups with them, certainly no good raw in salads. They are too much effort in my opinion.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I grew self blanching celery last year Finedon. I only had 12 and planted them in a block 3x4. They were all good and I didn't notice any difference berween the ones on the inside or ourside.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Just put loretta f1 celery into google and found the NVS website.

Says plant 9 inches apart each way; with no trenches as they are self blanching.

Like all celerys - needs loads of water or they go stringy.

I usually use the outside stems for soup and the inners for salads. But they need alot of water.

the smell should help deter carrot fly tho; so good companion planting decision there!

Comment

I've given up on celery (tried golden self-blanching) - it was tough and stringy.

Trying celeriac this year as an alternative.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i grew self blanching lanthom last year will do again planted them in a block of 12 because you dont have to cover them which i think makes them more stringy and a bit tougher this year i will picking earllier and earthing some of them up to experiment, you can peel the strings out the outer ones i used for stews and the inner ones for salad the middle the rabbit had they lasted over winter too i just left mine frost got to them but they just grew back was immpressed by the determination but i wouldnt of eaten them tough as ole boots by then,

Comment

i would really consider squeezing your sweetcorn in a min block of 3 x3 i had mine in two rows and got ziltch, im doing mine 6x6 this year and will be shaking them too to give them a boost

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X