Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato & Pepper question

Hello everyone,

First of all - what a fabulous forum, been reading for couple of months now and have learnt a lot already!!!

This is really my first year of growing veg, moving to a new house soon where I was "allowed" quite a space by my OH for a veg garden, so all of the windows are packed with pots and seedtray...This is most addictive hobby I ever had!!!

Anyhow, need your help, folks. I have sown some Yellow Pear Shaped Tomatoes, and will be repotting them this week as they are about 16" tall now. Would it be OK to repot from 4" pot they're in now straight to 12" pot (they are about to flower)?

Also, does anyone know how tall this variety grows? And what is the average height of sweet pepper plant (not much info on the packets)?

I have grown a lot of marigolds this year, which are about 6" high (dreaded whitefly ruined all of my herbs last year), can I pot them up with tomatoes and peppers?

Thanks a lot in advance, will be back with a lot more questions as the rest of my sowings getting bigger

Welcome to the Vine.

Yes, you can put the toms straight into the larger pots if they are ready to flower. It's best to do that now so that you don't have to repot them when the fruit is on, which can be damaged when doing so.

Can't say about the height of the sweet peppers; as it depends on the variety, and I think they can grow pretty large if they are in a really warm climate. I can only dream of huge peppers here. Perhaps google the variety and you might find out a bit more.

Marigolds are fine with toms and peppers. It's the roots as much as the smell that deters pests; so popping one in with the toms/peppers will help. Keep them deadheaded, and if they get too big you can cut them back - thus releasing even more of the putrid smell that keeps the bugs away.

Comment

Thanks for advice Zazen. It's about 20C now, and will get to 35-40 degrees in the summer, so hopefully will get big pepper plants

Comment

If the toms are starting to flower I would suggest putting them in the pot they are going to be in for the rest of the season, as for the height it all depends on the particular variety, I am growing yellow plums this year and variety I am growing are cordon type so that will be 5 or six feet to the greenhouse roof and then they will be pinched out.
        As for the sweet peppers depending on the variety again but I would expect about 2 or 3 foot tall.
        Last edited by crichmond; 28-04-2008, 12:19 PM.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

I have a Tigerella tom on bathroom windowsill which is starting to flower. It is destined to be outside for the rest of the year, roots showing through the bottom. Shall I plant it outside now??
          si'sraisedbed

Comment

It's too early to put it out in Wales at the moment and when you do you'll have to do it gradually to acustom it to the change in climate. You should be OK putting it out in the day and bringing it in overnight assuming the weather is OK but even now, heavy wind / rain could kill it. You don't say how big it is or what size of plant. If it's looking pot bound then a repot could be good but I'd resist outside planting for another few weeks.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post
              If the toms are starting to flower I would suggest putting them in the pot they are going to be in for the rest of the season, as for the height it all depends on the particular variety, I am growing yellow plums this year and variety I am growing are cordon type so that will be 5 or six feet to the greenhouse roof and then they will be pinched out.
              As for the sweet peppers depending on the variety again but I would expect about 2 or 3 foot tall.
              thanks you chrichmond, this really helps with my planning

Comment

Hi Norazina,

Your yellow pear tomato is it a big fruit or a small one? I grow a yellow pear tomato some years ago (small fruit ones) and they reach to a bit over 1 meter.
                If it is a Japanese yellow Trifele (a big yellow pear), it will reach to at least 1.5 meter but again, there are so many pear shape tomatoes, if you can point out the cultivar name, it will help you getting the correct info.

Welcome to the vine .
                I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
                  Hi Norazina,

Your yellow pear tomato is it a big fruit or a small one? I grow a yellow pear tomato some years ago (small fruit ones) and they reach to a bit over 1 meter.
                  If it is a Japanese yellow Trifele (a big yellow pear), it will reach to at least 1.5 meter but again, there are so many pear shape tomatoes, if you can point out the cultivar name, it will help you getting the correct info.

Welcome to the vine .
                  thank you Momol , it's a cherry tomato

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X