No announcement yet.

veg ideas please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no its ok will post in the next few days.i grew my courgette plants in the most sunniest part of my flower border last year and got tons off three plants,they do like to be planted in the ground so if you have got a space for them i would def plant in the ground.
    joanne geldard

Comment

Have a quick look on the seed swap section - there may be a few left on there. Don't always need to swap, some are happy to just give them away. I gave away some seeds recently, broad beans included.

Good luck with your quest.

Oh, and I'm not sure how many spuds to grow in the old tyres, but I would gor for one in each. That said, I'm new to all this so I'd wait till someone else came along with some knowledgable advice.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

hi there

i am new as well to growing, i am lucky in that i have a greenhouse and a small plot, i am growing in pots

strawberries
        carrots
        toms
        cut and grow lettace
        cucumbers
        sweetcorn
        radish

and in the ground (only a small plot though)

radish
        runners
        spinach
        onions
        beetroot

I also have lots of spare seeds, so if you are missing anything, please give me a PM and i will post you some,

as i am new to this, i didnt know about all the different varieties until i came on here, but the people on here are lovely and are helping me so much

also get yourself a composter, i got mine from the council and it is really going well and i am loving living like the good life.

good luck and congrats on the wedding (i have been married 16 years and it feels like a lifetime ha ha ha )

Su x

Comment

All the suggestions you have had are good. And you could add Pak Choi and red onions. Here's some pics of mine. You can use the onions in salads while you're waiting for your spring onions - they do well in containers too.

Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thankyou all very much.

Really only one potato in there? Blimey i would have put them all in - pleased i asked now!!

Squashysu - i have PM you - Thank you.

Sue
            xx

Comment

Yes Congratulations....Shouldn't you be off on honeymoon?

May I just make a couple of suggestions.
              1. Get a simple book, most people suggest Dr Hessayon's 'veg and Herb expert'
              2. Grow things that you like to eat...especially if they are expensive or difficult to buy.
              3. Sow little and often( Not beans and sweetcorn) but definitely with salad stuff
              4. Look around and get yourself down for an Allotment
              5. I ALWAYS take my wife a cup of tea in bed in the morning, we sleep on a problem but not an argument and the rhythm method doesn't work.

Also I'd say your not going to manage sprouts in a pot ..They need firm ground. Remember that anything in containers is relying on you for water and feeding...It will need to be in a daily routine.

Three spuds in tyre pile, add more tyres and soil as they grow up. It saves on soil if you pack the rims with straw. They can also be grown in buckets etc.... fill up as they grow

Good luck and don't worry we will all be here to help.

PS I have some courgette seeds if you need (bush type too...rambling would be difficult for you)
              Last edited by Paulottie; 29-04-2008, 01:43 AM. Reason: PS

Comment

hi
                welcome to the world of plotting. if you are growing in containers/buckets get them free from asda or tesco's. they throw their flower buckets away so just ask when you go in. drill some holes in the bottom and hey presto. if you pm me your address i will send you some strawberry runners for next year. they arent ready yet but will be in the summer. just plant 1 runner in a bucket and leave it outside and watch it grow. you can leave it out all winter as they dont mind frosts. i can also send you some herb seeds and any other spares. good luck

Comment

Hi Vegetable Newbie, Orla is quite a nice potato - I've got a few in a large pot. The fact that they are wrinkled isn't a problem at this time of year - they are putting their energy into the sprouting bit - be careful not to break it off when you plant.

Tayberries are brilliant - don't know about a pot though. They are a climber - do you have a bit of fence they can be tied in to? You tie in the growth that the plant made last year and it fruits on that. At the end of the year there will be new growth which will give you next year's fruit, and you prune out all the stems that fruited this year. Give it a BIG bucket and some pelleted chicken manure if you really can't put it in the soil.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thank you all very much!

I am off to Tescos this morning so i may just ask about the flower pots!! Didnt realise that thatnks!!

I am a special needs teacher and i have decided i am going to do a little vegtable plot with my class!! I had a look yesterday and there is a bit of land about 1.5m squared so we are going to use that. We are going to look on the internet today for what we can grow, we need to make it as sensory as possible. A herb garden is a definet must, we will do that in a pot though!! None of my staff are gardeners so that will be fun convincing all of them to help!!! I think they will be quickly hooked though!!

Thank you all

Have a good day.

sue
                    x

P.S we went to Devon for a week on honey moon - we love it down there we go body boarding every year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X