X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GYO for Others Help

Hi
    I am after some advice please.
    I have recently started a small grow your own/healthy eating project in the futher education facility in which i work. the project has been running since the beginning of the year and now as the time is approaching for us to starting using some of the crops (broad beans, peas, salads etc) our health and safety officer has expressed a concern (the way that they do) about the liability if a student was to get some form of food poisoning off what we produce.
    I was hoping that someone out there may of had a similar problem, will signing a disclaimer be sufficent or do i have to get in touch with a body such as the food standard agency.
    Seems like a lot of trouble for nothing to me but any help would be greatly appreciated
    many thanks
    John

I don't think that the veg in themselves are a problem, but as long as they are prepared in a hygienic way/ place. Does the college not have an inspected canteen/ kitchen? and someone with a certificate? You could indeed take a course yourself on food prep /storage.

Comment

whilst I am going to be completely hopeless on the advice front here, I'd just like to wish you lots and lots of luck with this project - it sounds great.

Comment

I agree the veg will not be a problem, and i teach catering & food hygiene. The problem is that if we buy in a contaminated item of food it can be traced to the source of malpractice and any legal liability would be on them but if we have grown the food ourselves we could be held responsible. i personally cannot envisage anyone getting any form of food poisoning from veggies but what would i know

Comment

Get the health and safety officer to do a risk assessment and put the ball back in their court!
          I think they will find that the risks are less than from shop bought produce. At least you know where your 'home grown' is comming from and what it's been treated with!
          Last edited by Snadger; 30-04-2008, 05:48 AM.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X