phostrogen feed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phostrogen feed

my 1st early potatoes are growing very well and are 6-8" high in containers. i have read that a liquid feed such as phostrogen will help the tubes form. i have phostrogen tomato feed in the shed will this be ok for the potatoes
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

i put tomato feed on evryhting that o grew last year and it does help even potatos that i had in an old potato bucket.
    joanne geldard

Comment

i also have nettles stewing in a bucket if i dilute it can this be used in the same way

Comment

i think so not so sure about that though,my friend who owns an allotment,puts horse manure in a muslin cloth and lowers it in to her water butt.
        joanne geldard

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
          i also have nettles stewing in a bucket if i dilute it can this be used in the same way
          Nettles are high in nitrogen not the best for potato's what you want is comfrey that is better for root veg's jacob
          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

what is veg need high nitrogen feed

Comment

OK, Feeding plants in containers. Big subject but here's a quick guide.

All plants require a balance of food. There are many trace elements( especially mangernese, iron and magnesium) but the big three are Nitrogen, phospheros, and potassium. Nitrogen feeds leaves, phospheros -the roots, and potassium- the flowers and fruit.

When you look on the packet of fertilizer there will be a ratio N:P:K eg. 5:5:7 which slightly favours potassium ...thus ideal for a fruit crop such a Toms.

Spuds normally have a general fertilizer eg blood fish and bone (blood high in nitrogen and iron ...the leaves; fish -high in potassium -the flowers and bonemeal for the roots) you can buy these items separately and boost the element you need but bear in mind that a balance is needed, particularly with nitrogen/potassium (the later will inhibit the former which is why you only start feeding tom food once first flowers have set). A higher nitrogen option is chicken poo pellets...great for brassicas etc. Most available goodness leeches from the soil -one reason you should water pots from the bottom. However Overfeeding can do more harm than good so give a little once a week.

All of these can be synthesised. Eg sulphate of ammonia , or the balanced 'growmore' but the above are the naturally sourced products.

You can indeed make various smelly 'teas' (I'd really avoid the dung though.) They often have the benefit of boosting beneficial bacteria--Yakault for plants! Comfrey roots draw many elements and the leaves can be harvested, as can nettles which are marginally higher in nitrogen or I've used seaweed before....Irish and Jersey spud growers traditionally spread seaweed on the fields. they all stink! but should be diluted a little and watered on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                OK, Feeding plants in containers. Big subject but here's a quick guide.

All plants require a balance of food. There are many trace elements( especially mangernese, iron and magnesium) but the big three are Nitrogen, phospheros, and potassium. Nitrogen feeds leaves, phospheros -the roots, and potassium- the flowers and fruit.

When you look on the packet of fertilizer there will be a ratio N:P:K eg. 5:5:7 which slightly favours potassium ...thus ideal for a fruit crop such a Toms.

Spuds normally have a general fertilizer eg blood fish and bone (blood high in nitrogen and iron ...the leaves; fish -high in potassium -the flowers and bonemeal for the roots) you can buy these items separately and boost the element you need but bear in mind that a balance is needed, particularly with nitrogen/potassium (the later will inhibit the former which is why you only start feeding tom food once first flowers have set). A higher nitrogen option is chicken poo pellets...great for brassicas etc. Most available goodness leeches from the soil -one reason you should water pots from the bottom. However Overfeeding can do more harm than good so give a little once a week.

All of these can be synthesised. Eg sulphate of ammonia , or the balanced 'growmore' but the above are the naturally sourced products.

You can indeed make various smelly 'teas' (I'd really avoid the dung though.) They often have the benefit of boosting beneficial bacteria--Yakault for plants! Comfrey roots draw many elements and the leaves can be harvested, as can nettles which are marginally higher in nitrogen or I've used seaweed before....Irish and Jersey spud growers traditionally spread seaweed on the fields. they all stink! but should be diluted a little and watered on.
                so in short nettle tea for brassicas and leaf crops such as lettuce, comfrey tea for spuds, specialized tom feed from shop.

is there an ideal diy tea or feed for toms.

i have flowers all over my garten perle so i guess i should start to fed them, my spuds are very leafy so should i feed them now or when they flower
                Last edited by hawthorns; 01-05-2008, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Yes start to feed toms..Comfrey does have considerable potassium though (plant derivatives are quite balanced naturally). You can use potash from woodash or kainet to boost K content. But tom feed is fine and easy if you have it. If leaf veins go yellow that possibly means magnesium deficiency( a common prob with toms) then you use epsom salts or spray with the seaweed tea...commercially available as Maxicrop.(an excellent tonic for foliar feeding most plants)

Spuds could also be fed ...not the flowers/fruit your really interested in. Bone meal and/ or comfrey will be fine. If they are earlies flowering normally means they are ready.

I normally mix comfrey and nettle in brew anyway ...too many tubs of rancid liquid around otherwise!

Comment

thanks for your help

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X