Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toms: pots vs bags vs ground

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I have an interesting poser. This is my first year with a polytunnel and I've gone a bit crazy with things to go in.

I've currently got some Tomato seedlings coming on strong and I've bought some large pots to eventually put them into. I've also got some large organic growbags and these were the metthods I was going to use..

The seedlings in the pots have come close to drying out once or twice already due to the heat inside and was wondering whether it would be better to physically plant the Tomatoes directly into the ground rather then keeping above the surface. Would this mean that they would be less likely to dry out?

I'm thinking I may experiment with all three methods, but I wondered what others viners experiences have been. Also if there are any downsides to this method...i.e diseases...

Yes, planting them in the ground (in a greenhouse) is definitely better for them. Pots dry out really quickly, as you've found. Although a saucer under each pot does help, try that.

Outside in the open, tomatoes are exposed to blight and (usually) lower temps.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi Banana from Nottingham; welcome to the Vine.

I usually hedge my bets, have some in the ground, some in pots; some in the actual garden, some in the courtyard.

Last year the ones that were the best were in Tesco black storage boxes in the courtyard, as all the others got blight and had to be destroyed. Many tears that day; and I was glad I had the others to fall back on.

There was a post yesterday about trench planting them if they are leggy; I have done this about 10 minutes ago with some Auroras in my courtyard; the leaves are a little more than an inch off the ground and I am hoping for flowers soon! Just need to keep an eye on the slugs/snails in the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Yes, planting them in the ground (in a greenhouse) is definitely better for them. Pots dry out really quickly, as you've found. Although a saucer under each pot does help, try that.

Outside in the open, tomatoes are exposed to blight and (usually) lower temps.
        I agree - much easier to manage in the tunnel if they are in the ground. This year also sinking 'funnels' (top of plastic bottles) next to them to help get water right down. Last year, blight took all the outside ones, thank goodness I had some in the tunnel.
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X