Crispy Courgette Leaves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crispy Courgette Leaves

I have a few courgette plants grown from seed sitting on a bench in the unheated greenhouse, they're all at the 4 leaf stage and have been doing very well.

When I went to check on the greenhouse today I noticed that the newest leaves on all the courgettes were a bit papery and crispy and a little yellow looking. The plants look healthy apart from one leaf. Are they thirsty, sunburnt, dry?

Yesterday was quite a nice day and I forgot to open the vent, not majorly sunny but hot in the greenhouse.

Has the compost dried out at all? I would have thought a day in the sun would have caused a growth spurt, unless they dried out as you suspect.

Comment

i think its the sun burn as mine were the same ,they were desperate to be planted out so i did that yesterday,should have some fruit in two weeks time.
      joanne geldard

Comment

I think you're right Jo, it's only the newest leaf on each plant, which of course are thinner and more delicate.

I took them off the bench yesterday and popped them onto the ground thinking they would be a little further away from the glare. Went in this morning (usual dressing gown G/H inspection) and was mortified to find a tiny slug munching on one of the good leaves. I pinged it across the garden and put the plants ack on the shelf.

I checked out my Mange Tout that I planted out last week on their wig wams, some little b****r has munched one. Grrr!

Comment

have you got some beer traps,tried this last night and voila little beasties face down in oh beloved budweiser lol
          joanne geldard

Comment

have also got this spray called sas slug and snail killer got it off ebay. and that works a treat too,also laid a slab in the flower border and check that daily as they love to hide do the beasties lol
            joanne geldard

Comment

I'm not the shy retiring type, but I really have a thing about slugs. I can just about cope with snails as they have their house on their back to pick them with but slugs make my skin crawl. Need to check out your remedies and steal his beer, unless they're partial to a glass of white wine?

Comment

I have the same problem with my courgettes and pumpkin plants. I won't get to get them into the allotment until later in the week. They have started what seems to be flowering, but the plants generally are looking more yellowy than green.

Should I water more? They are in smallish pots at the moment but I didn't think it would be a good idea to pot them on if they are going out soon.

what about tomoato feed? should i give them some of that?

Thanks

syanide

Comment

Originally posted by syanide View Post
                  I have the same problem with my courgettes and pumpkin plants. I won't get to get them into the allotment until later in the week. They have started what seems to be flowering, but the plants generally are looking more yellowy than green.

Should I water more? They are in smallish pots at the moment... what about tomoato feed? should i give them some of that?
                  They are starving - squash are greedy feeders. Get them out in the lottie PDQ (after hardening off for 7-10 days).
                  A little feed will do them the world of good too.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The one crispy leaf on my courgettes is now turning into 2 crispy leaves, the first two leaves stay fine but it's the susequent ones that are going to Crispville. I leave the greenhouse door and vent open during the day. The pot's big enough and I'm not overwatering. Do they need fed even though they're not flowering yet and are only at the four leaf stage?

Comment

I've now started to harden them off before putting them in the lottie...but I'm worried they're going to need some sex soon. Lots of flower buds have started appearing, but they haven't opened yet. If and when they do, can someone help me (with pictures if possible) please?

Also, as I'm taking them out for a few hours in the day, how will I know if the insects have help the whole thing along?

Thanks!!

syanide

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X