Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetcorn - In or Out

Hi

I have about 20 sweetcorn plants that I will plant out in a couple of weeks. But should I plant them in my polytunnel or outside, which is best.

Thanks guys and gals.
    Atomic Apple Design

"It is a cliché that most clichés are true, but then like most clichés, that cliché is untrue."

I think they'd be better outside - You're in Wales which is I assume fairly warm in summer, and sweetcorn are wind pollinated. This is why you need to plant them in blocks - the wind blows the plants, the pollen falls off and onto the female flowers of the plant next door or next door but one, hey presto fertilisation and sweetcorn cobs!!! If you grow them in the tunnel you will need to go round daily tapping the plants to achieve the same effect!!

Comment

Best off outside........rustylady has given you sound advice but dont put them in a too windy location.
      Are you growing courgettes in your polytunnel?
      Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

yep, sweetcorn is wind-pollinated.
        I'm going to try and grow mine in a horseshoe-shaped block this year, so I can put a deckchair in the hollow bit, hidden away in a suntrap with a beer and sweetcorn rustling all around me.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine are in the greenhouse at the moment in root trainers but are gradually being hardened off so that I can plant them in blocks in the garden in a few weeks time.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Mine don't want to seem to grow, I think I've got a duff lot of seed. Is it too late to start again with new seed???
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Not too late yet, yet them in quicky and make sure that you don't let them get too cold or wet otherwise the seeds will rot. Started mine off on the window ledge in root trainers with the propogator lid over and they all came through in just over a week by which time I'd removed the lid and moved them out to the conservatory and now on to the cold greenhouse. Think I planted them about 10 May but may have misremembered and my planting diary isn't to hand.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                Mine don't want to seem to grow, I think I've got a duff lot of seed. Is it too late to start again with new seed???
                Mine were slow starters and I've only got 12 out of 20. I expect that's enough though! Incidentally, they came through over a week or so, despite my trying to be very careful about having the same depth for each seed
                Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

On GQT, they said this week is when you can start to sow sweetcorn outside so shouldn't be too late. I planted some inside about a week ago and I'm going to do another lot outside when I get a chance!

Comment

My sweet corns were planted out 4 days ago, they were hardened off for 2 weeks prior to that.
                    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

In, out - in, out (shake it all about!) Not growing it this year myself, but someone on our lottie site has his out already. I put mine out mid-May last year (then it flooded everywhere - didn't like to take the chance that they were connected so I'm not bothering - you should all be fine!)
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X