Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broad Beans - what happens if the flowers don't get pollinated?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad Beans - what happens if the flowers don't get pollinated?

I have a few broad bean plants that survived the winter and are flowering. If the flowers don't get pollinated does this mean the plant will never produce any beans or will it keep flowering throughout the season until it's had enough?

no pollination = no beans
    You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by heebiejeebie View Post
      no pollination = no beans
      Broad beans will still produce some beans if not insect-pollinated, but insects (bees) will certainly increase the yield. You will see bees on your beans, but they aren't necessarily pollinating: some bees (and ants) will rob the flower of nectar, without going anywhere near the pollen, so contribute nothing to pollination.
      I find this fascinating, sorry if it just bores everyone else with the science bit:-

"The pollination of broad bean ... was studied by Free (1966) who concluded that insect pollination greatly increased production of broad beans but had little effect on production of field beans.
      Darwin (1889*) showed that 17 broad bean plants covered with a net to exclude pollinators produced only 40 seeds, whereas 17 exposed plants produced 135 seeds.

Holden and Bond observed that the pollen (of a broad bean) is in contact with the stigma 24 hours before the flower opens, therefore ...are capable of selfing (self-pollinating) "
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-06-2010, 07:11 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thank you both - very informative Two Sheds. However, I think I might not have explained myself very well!

What I meant was if the flowers don't get pollinated is that it for the plant or do another set of flowers grow and then if these don't get pollinated etc etc.

How many sets of flowers can one plant produce? Is there a finite amount or will it keep producing new flowers until it runs out of steam?

Does this make more sense?!

Comment

The plants in question are about 10 inches high and full of wilted flowers. Will the plant keep growing and produce new flowers even if the first lot didn't get pollinated.

Sorry to keep going on about this it's just that I'm worried I will lose the whole lot if they don't get pollinated soon.

Comment

Not that I know anything particular about it - but I'd be surprised if a 10" high plant gave up after its first lot of flowers went unpollinated... I'm guessing they will be fine, although you could always sow some more as a backup in case nothing happens?
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by palborn View Post
              The plants in question are about 10 inches high and full of wilted flowers. Will the plant keep growing and produce new flowers even if the first lot didn't get pollinated.

Sorry to keep going on about this it's just that I'm worried I will lose the whole lot if they don't get pollinated soon.
              Did you read my post? They can pollinate themselves. If your flowers are wilting, then I reckon beans are on the way

Comment

OK thanks.

Comment

bump

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X