Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squash questions

Hello!

I've got 5 little butternut-type squash plants from Dobies delivered, but they haven't sent any little instructions with them

I've put them in small pots for now, but was wondering what to do with them long term? They're currently in the unheated greenhouse.

Do they just get planted out (like courgettes) when they're a bit bigger? Would they benefit from going out now with pop-bottle cloches on?

Thanks!

OWG

I would leave your squash's in the greenhouse until at least august. Also if you have a big slug problem like I do on my allotment, I would leave them to grow on the greenhouse until they are quite big, as slugs tend to leave them alone then. They'll be quite happy in bigger pots in an unheated green house but watch out for late/late frosts where you are. I lost some marrows last year by planting out at the beginning in may, we had a frost in the middle of the month and they were turned to black mush! Pyewacket.

Comment

Why would you leave the squash in the g/h until august? The won't like frost for sure, but after that?
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

They'll be HUGE by August! I'm sure mine were out by June last year, if not before and they were absolutely fine - they sprawl like mad so I don't think it would be very practical to leave them in the greenhouse until August
        smiling is infectious....

http://www.thehudsonallotment.blogspot.com/ updated 28th May 2008

Comment

I put mine out last year at the end of may, in the garden, in full sun. Just give them plenty of water, and possibly try to keep the squashes off the ground, either strung up or on some stones, just to stop any rot. Enjoy the end result. YUM.
          "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Butternut squash are trailers, so they won't be happy in the greenhouse for ever. As you've potted them (what size pots by the way?) leave them in those until the roots fill the pots, then you can plant out just as you would with courgettes.

Comment

i've got 3 x F1 Sprinters coming along nicely in 4" pot and they are sitting in my unheated greenhouse type thingy - I was thinking of putting them out in about 3 weeks or so! Please do tell me if this is a bit early...and notice I'm way more North etc!

advice appreciated!

D
              "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

there is no way mine can stay inside until August! I've got about 25 plants growing (100% germination rate!) and they are big enough as it is. In a couple of weeks they will be going out on the plot along with the pumpkins, sweetcorn, tomatoes and other tender things. I will prepare the hole well with compost and water them a lot.
                We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

That's some of my squash in June last year and some of the fruit.
                  They do get big and sprawl 8 feet or more about the place .
                  You can plant them out after frost is passed - either in pots or in the ground. They like plenty of food and water.

You'll be allright Deezyb if you harden them off and plant out once frost is passed.
                  Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X