Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a special way to sow sweetcorn in pots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
    Woohoo.... Barrie Tough in Brechin, Deezybe in Kirrie and I'm in Auchenblae, all close to each other and none of us doing too well with the sweetcorn.
    yup must be something in the are

Comment

Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
      Woohoo.... Barrie Tough in Brechin, Deezybe in Kirrie and I'm in Auchenblae, all close to each other and none of us doing too well with the sweetcorn.
      I'm doing alright and I'm further north! I got 100% germination with Butterscotch, and it was the remains of last year's seed. I planted four to a 4" pot and popped them in a plastic bag in the greenhouse and they were up in 6 days. Potted them on today into individual 4" pots before the roots get too heavy as they seem to grow on pretty quick.
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

so far I have had 100% germination this year, but I soaked the kernals in a cup of water for 2 days before planting them in pots.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

I stuck mine in the airing cupboard for a few days, taking them out at the first signs of life. Took 3 days at most i think, now have 20 healthy, green plants. 100% germination rate - with this method - none came up when i tried just leaving them in a propagator. They don't like to be wet - make sure you don't water them too much.
          We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
          Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

I never (!) have any probs with germination: sow early May once it's warmed up a bit: they germinate best at 16C or thereabouts (use an Early variety not a Late variety if you're up north).
            Sow in paper pots, because they hate transplanting. This is a good article: Growing sweetcorn with pictures and advice - page 1
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Planted 12 seeds (2 per pot as I'd heard germination could be a problem) and all of them have come up. I think I'll plant some more. Need to look up how far apart they're planted so I can figure out how much space I need/can afford.
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Had 100% germination out of the 12 I planted. Simply pushed them into damp compost in root trainers about 3 weeks ago. Kept the cover on in the conservatory until they came through and they're now doing great guns in the greenhouse overnight / the patio during the day. Will be planted out when they're a bit bigger and fully hardened off.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Sweetcorn are not by any means the hardest seeds to germinate but many of us try and start them too early when the temperature isn't right. And then there's the tendency to overwater!

We're doomed to fail

Comment

Boo hiss to all those who have been successful although I am heartened to hear I'm not the only one having trouble! The seeds are Kelvedon Glory from The Organic Gardening Catalogue and were bought this year. I did have a few double standard ones left over from last year and they have come up ok. Do you think this means I have a duff batch? Can I complain? Is it too late to try again & sow indoors? I really want sweetcorn this year as I had a bad year last year as ants were milking aphids all over them and stunted their growth

Maybe I should just get a pack of seeds from the local garden centre and try those. I think I will give the chitting method a go as this at least will tell me if they're viable or not.

Comment

Palborn, how kind of you to begrudge people success. As shardenfrueder(sp?) is your bag I am sure you'll be pleased to know that I had my packet replaced last year by Dobies after 50% ish germination rate. Eventually suceeded in bringing about 75 plants to maturity of which 60 were flattened by badgers....there feel better

Germination running at 78% in toilet rolls this year(last years 2nd batch seed) and 96% in 3" pots, presoaked fresh seed.

No, it's not too late, but why not buy a local variety and sow direct?

Comment

18 out of 56 , no problem germinating them but keep losing them when they have sprouted.
                        ---) CARL (----
                        ILFRACOMBE
                        NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I suspect that the compost is waterlogged, As mentioned above, it is always a problem with sweetcorn they don't use much to start with, but most especially in bog roll tubes I find.

Comment

I planted last years seed and got 100% germination, but failed when i tried to get them out of their modules and into loo rolls. Some are still growing strong though! I ended up just sowing some more in bigger seed modules. Seed from your local garden centre is fine - last year i got mine from Sainsburys!!

Jennifer
                            Last edited by Garden_girlie21; 12-05-2008, 03:57 PM. Reason: Correction
                            Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X