• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supporting Broad Beans

first time growing broad beans ......
    can't remember the variety, but they grow to 4ft high
    they need to be planted 6" apart in a double row
    how should i support them? the only info i've seen in my books for supporting them says to push a few canes in the ground and run string around the canes

so should it be one cane per plant? should the canes be tied together with another cane (as with canes for runners) or just run string round near the top or what???
    HELP!!
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Cane on each corner of the row and string round the whole row.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

cheers - but better be more specific
      it'll be an 8ft long double row planted out kinda like this:
      .x x x x x x
      . x x x x x
      from what i've read, the double row is 6" wide - plants spaced 6" apart within each row
      so how far apart should i put the canes? and if all i'm doing is tying string round the canes, how high should i tie it?
      Last edited by Farmer_Gyles; 08-05-2008, 05:35 PM.

Comment

It's not support for individual plants, Farmergyles, just support for the whole row. A cane at each corner, and maybe two inbetween (total of eight canes). String run round each cane to make an outside frame. Suggest two or three rows of string, first one a foot above ground, and then a foot apart.

Comment

cheers guys, thats brilliant - hopefully will get them all planted out tonight

Comment

I did an 8 foot row last year and did exactly as Rustlylady says. It worked perfectly.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Also, if your bean are getting too high - say above about 5 foot (can happen if warm and wet through spring) you should pinch out central growing shoot. Otherwise they become very unstable and a bit of wind can wreck havoc. I think this also helps produce earlier pods, although this may be hearsay (perhaps other grapes can confirm?)

Its probably a bit early to do this yet, but my autumn planted BBs are now getting on for 4 foot, and growing like mad, so will probably do this in a few weeks time

good luck - I think BBs are one of the best home grown veg and its worth succession planting to get a good spread over the summer

Comment

This year we sowed our beans in single rows... seeds 6" apart, rows 10" apart.
                The rows are 4' long and we sowed 8 rows so we have a block of beans 4' x aprox 6'. 56 seeds in all.

We then put a cane on each corner of this block and ran string around the canes, so it forms a 'cage' around the plants. This stops them from falling outwards. They will support themselves inside the cage.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X