Poor Pea Germination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Pea Germination

I've never had any bother with germinating peas before, but so far I've tried two lots of Kelvedon Wonder (recommended and bought through the local RHS group) and the germination is really poor - approx 1 in 10. I've soaked them for 24 hours before sowing too.

Anything else I'm doing wrong?
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Are they in open ground or in containers/pots/modules, Jennie?

Comment

Jennie
      Dunno what to say - it's not as if you haven't done it before. I have sowed about 750m of Kelvedon Wonder (so far) and they have germinated no problem - bit erratic in areas but that's only to be expected from such a lot of seed - and I don't soak mine !
      I had very very poor germination with Onward last year - nothing outwardly wrong with the seed - just didn't take. All I can suggest is that you try and see if someone else has KW seeds from the same source and see what success (or failure) they have had.
      One other point - how long have they been sown for ?
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I start mine off in modules/trays and cant stop them germinating. I have sown kelvedon wonder from last years seeds and they are doing really well the same with a couple of other varieties.

Comment

Is it ok to start these off in egg boxes before outting them out? I think I've got some sort of earlies..They're feltham firsts. The pack says it's ok to sow outdoors in May, but i wanted to get them started in the conservatory first.

thanks

syanide

Comment

You can sow peas in pretty much anything - one popular method is to sow a double row in a length of plastic guttering then when the peas are ready to plant out, you prepare a small trench and just slip the peas into the trench.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks all.

SR and RL - I sowed them about four weeks ago in modules. and left them in the greenhouse. Just the same as I've done every other year. I've not grown Kelvedon Wonder before though.

I thought I might try the ones I'm soaking direct into the ground in the polytunnel. I'll let you know how I get on.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I grew peas for the 1st time last year and was very disappointed. This year i have tried Kelvedon Wonder soaked overnight before sowing and then placed on a heat tray for a week. Much better germination about 75%, I then hardened them off and planted out and they are now flowering.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimbo View Post
                  I start mine off in modules/trays and cant stop them germinating. I have sown kelvedon wonder from last years seeds and they are doing really well the same with a couple of other varieties.
                  I put mine in modules unsoaked in a unheated greenhouse and they have done really well

Comment

I've sown my peas, ,in multi purpose compost, in loo rolls and had 98% success. They will be ready to plant out this weekend. How far apart should I plant them?

Comment

Fortunately I've not had that problem - I say fortunately because, as well as the large quantity of Markana I saved from last year, and some Oregon sugar pod which my grand daughter loves, I've grown several 'rare breeds' from the HSL and from Seahorse who sent me a few types in small quantity. When you've got 5 or 8 of something, one in ten is nack all use! Don't know why though? Ah, sweet mysery of life...!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X