Interplanting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interplanting

I have a large space in between my rows of onions (in the ground- I grow most of my veg in link-a-bord raised beds) Would I be able to plant broad beans or peas inbetween? I was hoping to put cabbage/caulis in between but from advice from other grapes they would compete too much with the onions for nutrients/water.

I am very quickly running out of space and ideas - didnt think so much would germinate/grow.

Onions and beans/peas don't like each other. Well, the onions don't mind but the beans/peas aren't comfortable and won't grow as much.

Onions themselves don't like anything in between, if you grow in rows. The don't like weeds either. Mainly because I believe that their roots are shallow, you have to be quite careful when weeding in between.

What does work though is carrots; if you stick a cane in about 8 or more inches, and wiggle it round so that you get a good cone shaped hole; stick some sand down the hole and pop a few carrot seeds in the top. Then, pull the carrots one by one as they grow [giving you baby carrots], leaving one main one to grow to completion.

Comment

[QUOTE=zazen999;223912]
      if you stick a cane in about 8 or more inches, and wiggle it round so that you get a good cone shaped hole; stick some sand down the hole and pop a few carrot seeds in the top. QUOTE]

Do you use normal builders sharp sand for this??

Will have to give it a try!!
      Kermit aka Jade

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Comment

[QUOTE=kermit;224656]
        Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        if you stick a cane in about 8 or more inches, and wiggle it round so that you get a good cone shaped hole; stick some sand down the hole and pop a few carrot seeds in the top. QUOTE]

Hi

There are some who will religiously only use sharp sand; but after 14 years in soil mechanics as a civil engineer; I'd use any sand I could get hold of. The idea is to allow good drainage which encourages the root to grow down with no interruptions.

Comment

[QUOTE=kermit;224656]
          Originally posted by zazen999 View Post

I use builders sand for mine without any problems!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks guys! I've got a bag of sharp sand in the cellar - no idea where it came from but I can finally put it to good use!!
            Kermit aka Jade

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Comment

I must try that in the bed of yellow onions - i only sowed 10 days ago so plenty of time for a full sized carrot to develop!!

Comment

Is it possible to plant inbetween rows of cabbages, and cauliflowers. The land has been limed, approximatly 2 foot between rows.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X