Limp lettuce

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limp lettuce

After cutting my first lettuce, it seemed to wither very quickly. As limp lettuce is not very appealing, does anyone know how the supermarkets seem to keep their lettuces firm and crisp for a few days?

Supermarkets produce is often treated with all sorts of stuff which you wouldn't necessarily want. Also, they select varieties based on what will keep / travel rather than for flavour.

My nan always used to use a trick to revive limp lettuce by washing it in sugary water then rinsing it off. Don't know why but it always seemed to work.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The Chefs advise you to soak your lettuce in a bowl of cold water for half an hour or whatever. It soon crisps up.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

if you give it a quick rinse under the tap then put it in a bowl with a folded kitchen paper towel in the bottom, stick it in the fridge for a bit and it should be better!
        Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go!

Comment

Picking first thing in the morning will give you the best result.

Wash or soak in very cold water, don't dry it off, and put it into a large plastic bag. Seal the bag using a wire bag tie or summat, and whack it in the fridge for an hour or so. It will crisp up beautifully, even the soft stuff.

The crispest and tastiest lettuce is a large romaine/ cos - you're not going to get the same effect with a butterhead!

Comment

thanks for the help ... i was thinking there may be a way to seal the stem where you cut the root off to stop the moisture leaking out that way. does that sound daft? probably!

Comment

I make sure mine are picked in the cool of the morning when they are full of water, not dried out by the sun. Keep them cool once cut - If I pick a whole lettuce I stand it in the bottom of the fridge in a bowl with about an inch of water in it. Stand the cut stem in that and you won't have any problems with wilting.

Comment

I pick mine with the root still attached and plonk the root in a glass or mug of water, keep out of the sun and it will last 3 or4 days no problem. You would'nt want it if it had been washed in chlorine. boing boing

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X