butternut squash and Sweetcorn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• butternut squash and Sweetcorn

Can i plant sweetcorn in the same plot as my squashes. Have read somewhere tjis is ok, but Thought i would ask you knowledgable lot.

Thanks

Lou

Hi Lou

That's ok. There are lots of old threads about 3 sister planting, which is sweetcorn, squash and beans. I've planted by sweetcorn, butternut squash, courgette and cucumber in the same bed.

Tracey
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

thanks for that - i thought i was right but knew someone would pop by and offer support

Lou

Comment

Yes Loublou. Squash, beans and corn in the same bed is known as the Three Sisters - as grown by the North American Indians. I'm growing all three, and doing a little bed with all three just to have a Three Sisters experiment of my own - ie, see if the ones grown together do any better than if they are gown in separate beds.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

thankyou

Lou

Comment

Trying again this year for a three sisters bed. Problem has been getting the timing right. I can see the sense of it, particularly with the squash shading the roots of the other plants, but the beans strangled everything last year.

Comment

Well I have done squash and sweetcorn together - my lot dont eat beans so not bothering but will see how two sisters work. Its our 1st allotment so enjoying every minute of it and look forward to seeing what has sprouted up etc.

Great site for info this - keep up the good work.

Lou

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X