Planting pot-grown brassicas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting pot-grown brassicas

I just thought I'd report on some interesting findings of my early season brassicas...

I've just harvested my first cabbage of the year, sown at the end of January, which is very pleasing. It germinated quickly in the cool greenhouse - sown in modules, then moved to 3 inch pots, then planted with a cauliflower and a couple of lettuce into a 12 inch square pot. It's been outside since late March, and endured snow and scorchio

Now, the second batch - sown a month later - are not doing nearly so well. You'd think that they would be no more than a month of growth behind, or even less, having been sown later, but they're small and looking stunted.

The only difference, apart from the sowing date, that I can pin-point is the point at which they were transplanted. I suspect they languished in the 3 inch pots too long.

So, anyone else got experience of the best point to transplant your brassicas into their final position? What do you go by? Number of leaves, age...?

I've never tried growing brassicas to maturity in pots, for me they're sown in cell trays and transplanted onto the lottie to grow on. Main thing when transplanting any seedlings/plants is to make sure you don't overpot them as the roots can't cope with the large amount of wet compost and drown. Always wait till the roots fill the pot before transplanting.

Comment

I think, in anything, the roots over-filled the pot.

What size are the brassicas when you plant on the lottie?

Comment

Around four to six inches high, with four to six sets of leaves. Depends a lot on variety and available space.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X