san marzano in or out?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• san marzano in or out?

my better half has turned up with a san marzano tomato plant but we don't know whether it's an outdoor or indoor type anyone got any idea's please?

Can be grown in or outdoors.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

However, seeing as it sounds Italian I'd guess it prefer it warm?
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I grow San Marzano outside in my garden - the plants are vigorous and the crop heavy (all being well) so you need to give them good space and decent growing media. The fruit are really worth it, though.

Only grow tomatoes in your greenhouse if you have good control over the temperature and can give them adequate food and water. There is a strong risk - epecially with the larger fruited types like this - of getting blossom end rot if you get the watering wrong. It's a lot easier if they are outside in the soil.

My greenhouse is very hot so tomatoes are a lot happier outside.

Comment

I grew one in the greenhouse a couple of years ago and the flavour is very good but I found it quite slow to get going.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

San Marzano are a very vigourous plant and requires quite a bit of space. I always grow them outdoors. They crop heavily. The tomato is very fleshy rather than juicy. I usually make sauce from them rather than eat them raw. Hope this helps.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X