Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do Jerusalem Artichokes tatse like?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do Jerusalem Artichokes tatse like?

Hi All,
    I'm not sure how anyone can really answer this properly, but as I'm growng a few that I picked up in Tesco (and they've just broke through the soil). I was wondering what they tasted like and how they were best enjoyed. Thanks for any replies.

I peel them, put them straight into lemony water to stop them going yellowy.

then, chuck them in with roast spuds.

They go like a soft roast potato, and taste [in my opinion] a little like less perfumey parsnips, and are much softer.

You can also put them in with potatoes and mash them.

I only had one batch and did the above in 2 meals; when I grew them they were too small to eat [as were grown in a pot last summer], and I didn't plant any of them this year as I was waiting for ages for a lottie, and by the time I got one they had all shrivelled up.

Comment

Hi

personally to me they tasted "grim", a bit like soggy soap, but as everyones taste buds are different anything is worth a try.

Good luck with them.

SS

Comment

I've only had them roasted, and was not a fan. They are quite soft and taste - um - earthy? (like soil) They were perfectly edible, but frankly, I'd rather have spuds
        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

They are very nice stir-fried. Like a nutty sweet-potato
          http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

They taste rather nutty but earthy. Pleasant roasted or made into soup. Unfortunately the rather windy result is less pleasant We are growing a few on the lottie this year as we were given a few tubers by some kind neighbours but I would'nt have gone out and bought any.

Comment

I think earthy-nutty sums them up nicely - almost smoky too. I'm a great fan of them. However, they can cause gas! Still, I'd rather eat them and open a window.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've been growing them for YEARS, and do you know what? I've never plucked up the courage to try any. Have even had loads make it as far as the fridge, but never quite to the oven/saucepan.........

Comment

Originally posted by la cebolla grande View Post
                  I've been growing them for YEARS, and do you know what? I've never plucked up the courage to try any. Have even had loads make it as far as the fridge, but never quite to the oven/saucepan.........
                  Love your honesty! (they've got pretty flowers any way)
                  Cheers

T-lady

Comment

So why do you grow it LCG? It takes up a lot of room for a crop you don't eat.

Comment

They are pretty I guess! I have 2 small patches at the edges of my lottie, and they just seem right there! I would never have gone to the faff of planting them, but they were already there when we took the lottie on.

Also, about the only thing we 'grow' really successfully on the lottie is voles. In the iwnter we dig some tubers up for them - they love them. I don't know if voles have the same windy problem as humans though.............

LCG

Comment

You should be able to hear in quiet moments if they do! Little parping noises from the undergrowth?

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          You should be able to hear in quiet moments if they do! Little parping noises from the undergrowth?
                          with a notice on the surface,BEWARE EARTH QUAKE AREA
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by la cebolla grande View Post
                            get em in the pan, I have boiled, mashed, sauted, roasted, souped them - I like them lots (thankfully no gas from me!) and if you are watching the waist-line .. they are low kcal ... win win
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

I've given up on trying to cook them, as I just find the effort in for what you get out a disappointing ratio - so much peeling for... small things that I find quite lacking in flavour - just a little bit pointless really.

But each to their own, I know I eat some things that are labour intensive for what you get, and somethings that other people wouldn't contemplate putting in their mouths

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X