Tomato question (sorry)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato question (sorry)

I normally ask my Uncle for tomato advice but sadly can't this year.

Anyway I have some small tomato plants, currently in a mini-green house but they will eventually be on the lottie. The plants themselves are quiet small but already have flowers on them. Should i pinch the flowers out and let the plants get a bit bigger or let them get on with it? The plants are about 8" high and i think are Gardener's Delight, though i bought them for 25p at a car boot so they could in reality be anything at all.
    We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
    Updated 21st July - please take a look

harden them off and plant them out - they will soon grow on
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Toms

Remember, you can pinch the lower leaves off the toms and plant them deep. The stem will soon put out extra feeding roots which will help the plant be more stable and be able to absorb food and moisture better.

Cheers

Richard
      Ric Wiley

www.highdensitygardening.com/home.html

Comment

I've got the same problem with some of my later sown tomatoes - I can see flowers forming - but do I take them off?? I think I will, they'll always grow taller and produce more fruit, but they can't grow taller if all their energy is going towards fruit!

So its either a truss of tomatoes and less growth, or more growth and more tomatoes eventually. I think I'll snap them off....

Jennifer
        Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Comment

It's always a battle to grow the fruit before blight strikes. Personally, I wouldn't pinch out any flowers.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            It's always a battle to grow the fruit before blight strikes. Personally, I wouldn't pinch out any flowers.
            I agree with TS! Taking the flowers off won't make a happeth of differnce to the plants growth, It'l just mean you get less tomatoes!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

ok will leave them. i want as many tomatoes as possible so will let the tomatoie goodness commence.
              We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
              Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X