I'm Joining the Potato Queries...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would I be so cruel ?

The answer is yes they do, if you were trying to breed a new variety you would grow it in sucha away that i didn't make tubers but flowered & set fruit. This fruit is then harvested & the seed sown & grown on - it takes about 2 years to get them to the stage where you can harvest a few tubers of them - bit like the micro plants that you can buy.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief
      Would I be so cruel ?
      Do I have to answer that Nick

Only joking. Love you really. Of course you wouldn't
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

what are those microplantS?

Comment

Hi Shortie,

I am amazed at the similarity of your photo to a picture of my Chilean Potato Vine (Solanum Crispum I think is the name). I've never grown potatoes myself, so don't know what the flowers look like, but they are idential to my ever green climber! Obviously this is related by more than just name.

The Chilean Potato vine is a member of the nightshade family, but it doesn't produce tubers (well.... none that I'm aware of!), so if you get tubers, I'm sure it's safe to assume they're spuds!!

Here's a link to what's growing in my garden - but I think from the sounds of it (with everyone else's suggestions), you've got spuds....

http://www.paghat.com/bluepotatovine.html

Comment

They do look similar don't they? I did wonder that when I very first realised they had purple flowers, but then realised it wasn't attempting to climb and was too busy.

Just wish the things would die back so I can lift them out, have a nose (and hopefully a crop) and check/turn my compost. Can't open the bottom at the moment as the flowers are growing out of the bottom door and will snap ann the foliage clean off if I open it
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Just wondering what was the result of this Shortie? Did you get any spuds?
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Solanaceae

[QUOTE=Shortie;21062]They do look similar don't they?
                [QUOTE]

Just to mention that the Chilean Potato Vine (Solanum Crispum) and Potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) are in the same plant family, hence similar flowers.

Also Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum) and Eggplant (Solanum melongena) as well. Its the flowers on the plants that taxonomists study to classify plant families.

More info here...
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum

Potatos sprouting in the compost heap are possibly the product of potato peelings, or those very small spuds that got thrown out.
                Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X