Going to seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to seed

Any reasons as to why both my shallots and garlic has gone to seed. I have had the odd shallot send up a flower spike in the past but every single one has this year. It is also the first time garlic has run to seed, presumably it will still store OK as it isn't every clove that has produced a seed head, just the central one.

Ian

Hi Gojiberry

I think it's to do with the sudden change in weather. All mine did this last week s after the temp shot up. I've just pulled the heads off and am letting then carry on
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I've no problem at all with garlic going to seed as even the garlic you buy in the shops has seeded, hence the hard central core. In fact the seed head and stem are a delicacy in Italy.

If shallots have seeded tho I would use them quickly in the kitchen, green and al!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My garlic bolted as well, I just cut the stems back and used some of them in a tomato sauce to go with chicken last night.

The kids really liked it, said there were subtle flavours. Their faces went a little odd when I told them it was garlic flowers.

Boy was well impressed when I told him in some countries garlic flowers were a delicacy, he's such a food snob.
        I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

My over-wintering Radar onions are bolting, and now my spring-sown ones have started to as well. I am eating them as large spring onions, in stir fries.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Some of my garlic is re-sprouting (onion-type seedlings appearing around the main stem), which has never happened to me before. They were planted in November as directed, but obviously something has gone awry. There is no sign of flower stalks, though. Shame.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X