Droopy Toms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Droopy Toms

I'm a complete novice at tomato growing and think I sowed mine later than everyone else but have managed to raise 30 tumbling tom plants in my growhouse (the surplus will be going to children in my gardening club).

When I opened the growhouse this morning (shut because I heard there was going to be a frost last night) there was a lot of condensation and a few toms were really droopy.

Is this because a) it was too cold? b)they are too leggy (and if so what to do about that)? c)er...can't think of a c.

And for my other stupid question, the tom plant food I've got says to use when "first truss is set". What on earth does this mean?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm feeling very protective about my toms....
    Mrs Be
    www.carrotsandkids.blogspot.com

Unless you have just potted them up into new pots then drooping indicates they need watering. Put your finger on the soil and it should be damp to the touch. If not give them a good soaking.

The truss refers to the branch that produces flowers and they occur every 7th branch. So when that appears (set) then it is time to feed. I feed mine every Sinday morning.
    Last edited by Capsid; 19-05-2008, 10:30 AM.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

flippin' 'eck! Droopy tomatoes and limp cucumbers! I'm off....!
      Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Thanks Capsid, they are well watered, not dry at all. So that can't be the problem....

Lainey lou, may your cucumbers always be firm and your toms pert ;-)
        Mrs Be

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Be View Post

Lainey lou, may your cucumbers always be firm and your toms pert ;-)
          cor, thanks Mrs Be!
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

They go a bit droopy cos of the cold - have they recovered now? (Not that its overly warm - its about 22C in our g/h, the leaves on the aubs have just about 'unfurled' from overnight when the temp dropped to around 4.7C!
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Phew! Thanks for that Manda. I know it was cold last night. I brought the worst of them inside and yes, they have perked up a bit!
              Mrs Be

Comment

Hope they're okay - we covered ours in a thin layer of fleece overnight, our unheated g/h's door is always closed at night.
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 19-05-2008, 12:28 PM.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I'm glad you asked this question, my toms have being showing the same syptoms lately. The're outside already ( bit too small really ), so i just put a mmmmmmmm, whats it called........ plastic tunnel thingy on them, they can recover from a little beating can't they? sorry to be a novice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X