Am I too late?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too late?

I am new to growing veg and we have just taken over a plot, am I too late plant potatoes and other stuff?

Hi Elmac,

Welcome to the vine! Nice to have another Scottish grape on board

I think you will be fine still to plant most things, we are about 1 month behind those down south weather wise. Chilli and peppers may be tough as they need a long growing time.

Have a look on the thread 'what i did today' and you can see who is planting what and where.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...today_512.html

Have fun, Mandy
    Last edited by mandyballantyne; 20-05-2008, 12:24 PM.

Comment

It's a great time for sowing a planting many vegetables, don't worry.

Potatoes should be ok - get them in soon, though.

If you want a flying start then look for young plants at the garden centre - brassicas, tomatoes, courgettes, cucumbers, sweetcorn, beans, lettuce... they're all ok to plant around now (but after your last frost!)

Comment

You won't know if it is to late unless you have a go. If you have a bare plot fill it up with anything you have and see what developes. Nothing to loose??

Ian

Comment

I'm still playing catch up, i have stillgot quite a few spuds to get in, all will come good though.
          "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Hi Folks and thank you for your replies and encouragement. You are right Ian, I have nothing to lose so I will just jump in there and have a go. My teenage son is digging over the plot for me so I hope to be ready by the weekend to plant stuff. Glad I'm not the only one with stuff going late Vegnut, but you live a good deal further south than me!

I have some lettuce and tomatoes in pots already, the tomatoes are on my conservatory windowsill as I think it might not get warm enough just yet for tomatoes here. Mandy thanks for the link I will have a look at that. Good to have someone in the locality to ask advice from too.

I plan to be out planting this weekend if possible, I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

Elmac

Congratulations on getting the plot - this time last year I received the letter informing me I got mine - guess what I spent the Bank Holiday Weekend doing (with only a little help from no. 3 son)!

It was the end of May when I started planting in earnest (including potatos), and I had a really good harvest

Good Luck & Enjoy
              NKP1962
              The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
              Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

Hi NKP
                Another person nearby, we're practically neighbours!

The 'plot' we have belongs to our next door neighbour, he is a retired man who used to do lots with his garden but has done nothing with it since we moved in 5 years ago. So we have taken over his back garden. I know that if anything happens to him we could potentially lose our crop but I hope he's good for a few years yet and he is delighted for us to be cultivating his garden. He can also enjoy some of the fruits from it.

I did look around for an allotment but I couldn't find much in West Lothian that would be close enough to us to make it viable. I am really looking forward to having a go at growing vegetables. I think we are going to start with what I hope is straightforward stuff, like potatoes, peas, beetroot, leeks etc. My plan is to get planting this weekend I have most of the stuff I need to get going I think so I'll let you know how things go.
                Linda

Comment

Linda

wrong Whitburn - I've changed profile now!

Good luck with the panting

NKP
                  NKP1962
                  The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
                  Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X