sweetcorn planted too close?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweetcorn planted too close?

I have raised beds, and have just (today) planted out my sweetcorn. I think they're about 12" apart, which I know is closer than I used to plant them on my allotment, but I thought they would be OK in raised beds - but now I'ma having doubts.

Are they going to be too close? I could move them at this stage as they only went in a 7pm this evening!!!!! But don't want them to get established if they're too close together.

being in raised beds they should be ok.i plant mine about 18in but thats on the plot not got them out yet still getting a bit of frost here .best of luck with them.

Comment

you'll be fine - hope it's not too cold. I planted my sweetcorn out last week when it was glorious and then it all went grim and cloudy and they've gone a bit shocked. sigh.

Comment

I planted mine at 12 inches apart for years......then I read the seed packet! Mine were always fine and they were on the plot too, I think raised beds actually allow for closer spacing.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I think they'll be fine Sweetcorn. I only grew them last year in deep beds and planted them at that distance.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Glad to hear you think they'll be OK. I have covered them in a fleece frame, just in case they're a bit shocked by the cool nights we're having.

Comment

When I planty mine out they'll be around 10 inches apart.

I have a 3.5 x 7 foot bed, and put three rows of 7 in. With a gap all around that gives about 10inches spacing.

I've done this for the last two years and had decent crops.
              Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
              I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

I plant at 12 inches, roughly, and only get one cob per plant, but my soil is light and extremely free draining. The plants grow well but not as well as I know they could. With good soil and sun, a close spacing should not be a problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X