Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing onions in pots

Does it work?

I planted my onion sets in large planters with the intention of them staying in there......is that ok or do they have to go into the ground?
    I haven't grown onions before, they appear to be doing fine in the planters, but if they'll suffer I'll pop them in the ground somewhere!!!

Thanks in advance
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

I think your onions should be fine. I've only grown red onions but I can't see what the difference should be. I grow them in a bread crate and keep them well watered. I don't store them but use them as I go along - lifting every second one to chop into salads while I'm waiting for spring onions. They do get to a good size in the end - but don't know about storing - it's not what I do.
    But here's a pic
    Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Growing in pots are what a lot of my friends do when they are growing for show. They tend to them every day and i have seen onions grown by them over 5lb.
      good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks for that guys, I was a little worried that by keeping them in pots i'd only get "tops" but having read your posts i'll leave them be!
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X