Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

marrow Scallopini Yellow is this normal ???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marrow Scallopini Yellow is this normal ???

Hi all

Don't know if anyones grown scallopini yellow's before here but is this normal ?
    The top of the plant looks like its about to flower !!! all the lower ones look male to me.

Many thanks dave
    Blog

Hythe kent allotments

You normaly get a nice bunch of flowers to look at on your marrows/courgettes before the male/female thing catches up. I usually find the first few flowers are male so it flowers for a week or two before there's any chance of a fruit seting. It's just one of nature's funny little ways. They catch up then you'll get fruits set.

I've sometimes wondered if it's a way of trying to get plants to cross rather than self pollinate. If the first plant produced all male flowers for a week, then females, then the next one along would be producing its males when the first ones females were in bloom. Or don't I get out enough?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
      You normaly get a nice bunch of flowers to look at on your marrows/courgettes before the male/female thing catches up. I usually find the first few flowers are male so it flowers for a week or two before there's any chance of a fruit seting. It's just one of nature's funny little ways. They catch up then you'll get fruits set.

I've sometimes wondered if it's a way of trying to get plants to cross rather than self pollinate. If the first plant produced all male flowers for a week, then females, then the next one along would be producing its males when the first ones females were in bloom. Or don't I get out enough?
      Its not so much the male flowers, im used to seeing from growing cuc/cours its just the vey top tip of the plants it looks like a bud and isnt thinking im used to seeing in this type of veg. just seems odd to me the photo at the bottem isnt that great to show what i mean :/
      Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X