seaside gardening

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seaside gardening

I have been searching desperatly for a book that deals entirely with growing vegtables in a seaside inviroment please does anyone know of such a book.
    Thank you.
    Diana

Um there probably is. Try Amazon.
    However I live by the Sea. Not quite on the beach but very close. I don't have any trouble growing vegetables. There's probably a bit more salt in the air but it's never been any kind of problem.

Comment

thank you for your reply I can only hope that the salt air does not cause me any problems as we are right on the beach and also the wind is a bit of a problem.

Comment

Hi Diana and welcome to the 'Vine
        Don't have a book title for you but there is a website you may find just as useful - www.seasidegardener.co.uk
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I grow most 'normal' veg (i.e. nothing particularly special for the seaside) and I don't have a problem. I don't live on the beach as you do, but I do live close to the beach and I have plenty of salty air to contend with (messy windows from the salty air all the time!).

None of my veg seem affected by the salt, but then again being that you're closer means the salty air may be more concentrated and might have an effect.

Have you tried growing veg in those conditions - what have you tried? What has given you problems?

I grow runner beans, peas, garlic, salad veg, brocolli, tomatoes, onions, herbs etc... plus rhubarb, strawberries and other soft fruit with no problems with the sea air.

All the best with your seaside veggie venture!

Comment

Cabbage family will do OK there Diana as they are coastal plants originally. The other thing to do is to grow a hedge that will dake the brunt of the salt ladened wind and give your veggies a bit of Shelter. One benefit you'll probably have a milder climate than inland I guess (unless your on Cape Wrath !!!)

I'd be suprised if someone hasn't written one. Failing that are there any allotments near to you? You maybe able to join as an associate member & buy stuff off them if they have a shop & pick their brains aswell !
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

What's your soil like? Is it very sandy? Sounds interesting at any rate. A friend of mine had a beach house literally on the beach amidst sand dunes and still managed to grow some rather odd things. he did grow herbs in containers however so you could certainly use compost to start with and get a compost heap going.

Comment

Thank you so much everybody you have really given me lots of hope, I am going to get the book from amazon but not sure if it covers much on veggies.
                I am in fact going to live in Orkney so perhaps there is someone out there who also lives there? I wish I had joined this forum before as I am an avid reader of GYO.

Comment

Nice to have you here Diana and it's always better later that never

Be warned, we can get a bit addictive
                  Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Hi Diana,

I used to live in Orkney, the soil is very fertile and you should be able to grow all sorts of things - frost and snow is also uncommon there. The biggest problem you'll have will probably be the wind - it's very exposed, and plants tend to grow as high as the wall they're up against and no more! I lived on Papa Westray for two summers as the RSPB Warden and during my time there someone decided to set up a polytunnel and grow a few things - courgettes and strawberries mostly - to sell to the island shop. The veg was excellent!

I'm not sure if there are any Grapes on Orkney already, but the next nearest to you in location would proably be CaithnessGardener, who also grows in polytunnels, and Caithness is very similiar to Orkney in climate and geography.
                    Last edited by Birdie Wife; 12-07-2006, 12:03 PM.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

We are sailing to Papa Westry on Friday - one of my favourite places. I will look out for the polytunnel!
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

It's in the centre of the island to the east of the shop. Hope it's still there. Wave to Rose Cottage for me if you're passing! It's the pink one. Don't know if my old veggie patch there is still going or not - I tried planting peas and carrots in May 2001 but then left at the end of August so never got the benefit sadly. I did have a small meal of baby peas the day before I left though! It was a great life.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

BW - I think I saw it last year, as I sent OH into the shop so I could hover around to speak to someone about the polytunnel. Will look out for Rose Cotage - will try and get a pic!
                          ~
                          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

hi Diana, am in the far south (Kent coast) but altho this is my first fruit/veg year, the salt air doesnt seem to be a prob. we have a drought order tho, which is much more trying...!

Comment

Diana - my biggest problem is the wind and I guess it might be for you too. Trying to provide a shelter belt is the most important aspect and from experience it has to be from species that are native to your area, but this takes time. I struggled with this - but the polytunnel has proved to be the saviour. It might be just what you need!
                              ~
                              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X