No announcement yet.

Thoughts on using bath water on crops?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on using bath water on crops?

Googling has offered me mixed results on using 'grey' water. I wouldn't feel happy using water from the dishwasher, washing machine or mop bucket on my veg but what do other Grapes think of using bath water (ie water with bubble bath and/or shampoo residue in it)?
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Evening seahorse. During the drought of '76 we used anything we could and that included bath water. We were actually discussing this at the weekend and were trying to remember how we did it and came to the conclusion that we baled it into buckets from the bath and emptied it into the butt ready for use. It did smell after a bit though. We did mainly use soap in those days whereas many people will now use shower/bath gels. We never used the washing up water if we had washed greasy dishes though. Personally I would not use bubble bath/shampoo water/clothes washing water (but yes if it was hand washed rinsing water) but I bet other grapes will have other ideas. Only my opinion. Just let them tell us we have a drought this year what with all the blinking rain we have had recently. We have run out of containers to store it in!!

Comment

I've heard you can

Comment

Hi - Kinda depends what you put into your bath water. If you're stuffing loads of GalaxoSmithKleinL'OrealUniliver in it, I wouldn't. If it's just a bit of veggie soap, no worries at all.(Cos the planet's worth it)
        http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
        http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

I'd be using my washing machine grey water if I'd got round to sorting the plumbing to save it - but then, I use Soapnuts instead of chemicals, so the water should be plant-friendly.

I've been wondering about the water I drain pasta out of - it has salt and olive oil in it - will the plants complain, or will it just help in the fight against greenfly in a similar way to washing-up liquid?

Comment

Grey Water.

During the Drought of 2006 my local water Authority was warning against using saved bath water and shower water on vegetable plants or plants to be eaten, due to possible fecal contamination.

If i remember the environment agency also said the same.

Ornamentals you will be fine, especially if you use Ecover products as i have just read on the back of the washing up liquid one (whilst washing up) its made plant plant extracts not petrochemical extracts so perfecxtly safe.

Always wait till the water is cold though.

Environment Agency - Greywater
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I don't use much in the way of chemicals so, if I had the first idea how to go about it, I wouldn't have a problem with this.

And nor would I worry too much about "fecal matter" in bath/shower water - there can't be much, right? and anyway isn't fecal matter good for our veg?! Admittedly the stuff in your bath wouldn't be well-rotted, but if I'm willing to have a bath in it then I'm willing to eat veg that have been watered with it.
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I kept all my plants going in 2006 by using bath/shower water. With a family of 5, I made them all shower in the bath, where I could keep the plug in. There were a few protests at standing in someone elses water, but no one took the plug out. Then it would settle and cool through the day, and I found most of the residue fell to the bottom. In the evening I would siphon it through the window into 2 dustbins on the patio, usually filling them both up, leaving the residue in the bath, which was rinsed down the plughole. This was used to water fruit, veg and ornamentals. No one suffered any diseases from eating peppers, chillies, toms, beans, lettuce, cues, melons etc and the plants did great, even my potted camellias which put on a wonderful display the following spring, with no yellow leaves. As far as soap etc, dove soap, head and shoulders shampoo, lynx shower gel, timotea shampoo and conditioner, and whatever shower gel was in for me and Vicky, I can't remember now.
                With a hosepipe ban and water metre to contend with it was a lifesaver. The only problem we had was getting the siphon going, although by the end of the summer we did get pretty expert at that too.
                I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

What sort of syphon did you use Barleysugar.Just in case they do declare a drought! Was it a hand one

Comment

Just make sure you don't throw the baby out with it!
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

We don't use many chemicals at all and I'd have no problem using grey water at all, but I would make sure only to water around the roots (rather than overhead) of veggies and I'd probably siphon the water at scoop off any obvious 'scum' before using...

I remember 1976 - sharing baths with the neighbours, measuring 3" of water into it...and having to queue to fill up from the standpipe in the street. Fantastic! (Well I was only 6 ) And I'm sure we used all the bath water on the garden afterwards too (after 6 or so children it must have been pretty rank)

And then we had a whole street water fight when the drought ended - bliss!

Comment

We used bath water in '76. Syphoned with garden hose - DON'T SUCK TOO HARD! Whoops! However, we didn't - and still don't use masses of bath products. We use soap and mild detergent to spray aphids, don't we? What's the problem? The veg plot was only a few yards from the window though. No logistics involved in transporting to a lottie from the bath!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

i use grey water on my flowers and try and save butt water for veggies only in the hottest months as you never know, i still see people watering there lawns what for ?!?!?!?! i know people would like the perfect lawn but when i see these people especialy the older generation (no offence) mowing there lawns at midday and watering at middy whats the point, i was always told to do it very early in the morning or very late at night, i try not to over water as well if its going to be reallllllly hot as the plants will expect a really good soaking everyday, so i ration it as it were,

Comment

Thanks for the input folks I think I'll use our bath water on the veg then. We don't use loads of products and it's easy enough to pour the water from the bathroom window into the butt straight underneath (even if it does make me look like a loony ).
                            I was feeling part of the scenery
                            I walked right out of the machinery
                            My heart going boom boom boom
                            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                            I've come to take you home."

Comment

We shower in the bath and syphon off the water too - like the others, this was used particularly in the hot summer of 2006 to water all plants and the grass.

The people giving advice to be cautious are sensible to do so - there is always a chance of contamination - but in my opinion (using common sense, rather than scientific knowledge, of course ) I believe it is a small risk. I would think that it's not advisable if someone who will be eating the produce is in poor health or has a compromised immune system - but it's still a small risk even so. Perhaps it would be wise to suggest that we should make sure that the water goes where it should - into the soil - and not onto the plant itself.

We use very little in the way of soap or other detergent, and filter the water to remove any scummy bits - an old nylon stocking or similar on the end of a funnel or your pipe is ideal for this. Don't leave the water hanging around - use it as soon as it is cool.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X