Yard Long Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yard Long Beans

Am growing yard long beans this year and am looking for advice. I have 3 bean frames with 6 varieties of beans one one each side of a frame. The beans were started off in the greenhouse and then transplanted. All the varieties are doing well except the yard long. They are very stunted and have hardly moved since they went in. All foliage that is growing is bright yellow. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is normal for yard long beans. May have a go at planting some more.

Ian

gojilottie updated 27 May 08

I had poor results with yard long beans a few years ago and haven't tried to grow them since!

Mine eventually got to the top of a wigwam, but as you say looked poor and stunted.
    Because I bought the beans from Italy I asumed it must have been too cold for them in Geordieland. I even wrapped the wigwam in polythene to warm them up a bit but all to no avail...........I didn't even get a bean, never mind a bean a yard long! Total waste of time for me! They would probably be more suited to growing under glass.

Never mind, you win some and lose some, isn't life jolly!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've just planted some Yard Long bean seeds. I'll keep you posted. Anybody else have any experiences of growing these?

Comment

No but the only people I have heard of who had any success grew them in the greenhouse not outside. Don't forget to measure them and let us know how long they get!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My plants were like others found when grown outside (ie, stunted), and even in the greenhouse while they climbed away happily they were most unproductive.

Comment

Not tried these because I think I've seen other posts about disappointing results. Hope you fare better with them, do let us know.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I grew then easily here a couple of years ago but to be honest, couldn't get too entheused about them at all. They grew lots of beans, mediocre flavour, but of all the beans I've grown here, they were the only type to have been attacked by bean weevil.

So burned the hulms when they went over and haven't bothered since.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X