Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough Tom Skins

Hello,

I'm new to growing veg, so you'll have to forgive my question if it sounds a bit silly.

Last year i grew some tomatoes (money maker) and whilst they tasted fantastic the skins were quite tough. Is this normal for this type of tomato, or home grown toms in general?

Are there any growing techniques that reducing the toughness of the skin? This year I'm growing a few more varieties and whilst i don't mind the skins being tough i'd prefer to know if its some thing I'm doing wrong so i can improve my skills!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

I've never grown Moneymaker myself, but I think it's mainly down to variety. Some are very thin skinned and this can cause problems with them splitting when they're ripe. I found Black Cherry a bit tough last year but the taste was fine. I'm not sure whether growing conditions can affect the skins, you know, amount of water etc. Maybe someone else has an idea on this. Best advice would be to try different varieties. (I can't stop myself! seriously addicted to growing toms!)
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

One of the reasons that Moneymaker has remained the standard for medium home-grown is probably the fact that the skin is "robust"... as Flum says, there are some which split the instant they are ripe (Sungold, for example) and so have to be eaten straight away. It is also a good colour, grows easily and looks the way that people expect a tomato to look!

If you like the Moneymaker type, you could try some similar ones next time - tomatoes like Shirley, Vanessa or Cristal. Many varieties have been developed from Moneymaker by crossing it with others, so you might find something different that you prefer.

There are so many varieties of tomato that growing them is like a hobby in itself!

Comment

I still like Sungold for flavour though. It's the only F1 hybrid tom that I grow.

Comment

Last year I grew some Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse which were fine. The same variety grown outdoors though had tough skins!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            I still like Sungold for flavour though. It's the only F1 hybrid tom that I grow.
            Have to agree with you - Sungold has superb flavour, especially if you are extremely mean with the water. I grow mine in the border of the greenhouse and they have to search for the water that is available in the ground. The only year I have had to help them out recently with water was 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Last year I grew some Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse which were fine. The same variety grown outdoors though had tough skins!
              They don't like to rough it then?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X