yellow tomato leaves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellow tomato leaves

went out into the garden this morning and noticed several leaves on my garten perle toms in hanging baskets have yellow leaves. iv elooked in the vegtable and herb expert book and it looks like i have a magnesium deficiency. does anyone else have this problem.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Yes in my legs, I walk very funny
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
      went out into the garden this morning and noticed several leaves on my garten perle toms in hanging baskets have yellow leaves. iv elooked in the vegtable and herb expert book and it looks like i have a magnesium deficiency. does anyone else have this problem.
      Have you started feeding them yet? Sometimes with outdoor hanging baskets we tend to think as it's been quite wet they don't need anything but you may still need to feed them

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
        Have you started feeding them yet? Sometimes with outdoor hanging baskets we tend to think as it's been quite wet they don't need anything but you may still need to feed them
        yes ive been feeding them with tomato feed. the book says that standard feeding will not help with there problem and could make it worse.

Comment

I've got my googling fingers on tonight...
          RHS says try epsom salts as a foliar spray.
          Royal Horticultural Society - Gardening Advice: Magnesium Deficiency
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Hawthorns, if it is magnesium deficiency (sounds like it) spray them with some Epsom salts. You can buy it in garden centre or any chemist. Very cheap - about £1. I think the dose was about 3 teaspoons to a pint of water. Spray everyday for a week, but you'll see improvement from day 1. It's a real life saver for toms. Let's know how you get on.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

took tomato plant to local garden centre today and they seem to think its a leaf mould so ive picked all diseased leaves off. i have dithane to treat the plants.

Comment

Hope that works and your tomatoes are OK Hawthorns.

Comment

I would have stuck to Alice's advice if leaves were yellowing and not browning. RU sure about advisor at shop? I Think Hessayon had it right... mag deficiency.. Ep. salts suggested or Maxicrop seaweed foliar spray works for me......but then Dithane not my thing!

Comment

yes there very good at garden centre. dithane is the only thing that will sort the problem. i dont do sprays as i try to grow organic so my hands are tied.

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
                      yes there very good at garden centre. dithane is the only thing that will sort the problem. i dont do sprays as i try to grow organic so my hands are tied.
                      What is Dithane? It doesn't sound anything like as organic as seaweed or epsom salts to me - but?
                      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Dithane is a fungicide. Nothing in your description suggested fungus was present. And do you want to eat plants sprayed with fungicide. Might as well buy them from the supermarket - lot less bother.
                        The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so do let us know how you get on Hawthorns. I'd keep the Epsom salts in the cupboard - just in case.

Comment

ive picked off all affected leaves. im not going to use the dithane. i will keep tabs on the plants and also try the epsom salts. i really dont want to go down the fungicide route.

Comment

If you try the epsom salts dont go for that famousd branded name it contains a lot of added sugars.Look for contents that say Mag Sul 100%
                            Last edited by methusala; 14-07-2008, 07:32 AM. Reason: more info
                            A dog watches and listens for the next command. A cat takes a message and will get back to you....maybe

Comment

Fabulous thread, as I have the same problem. I had thought that I was underwatering. As luck has it, I have epsom salts, so will start treatment tonight! If you have a lot of toms or large plot which is deficient, might be worth buying the Epsom salts from a farm supply shop. My 5 kilos cost me £5, about 3 years ago!! Who'da thunk it that having horses would be handy for gardening?!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X