No announcement yet.

surplus veg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We always seem to grow just enough for our needs. A lot of our veg is frozen so it can be kept for ages (we still have frozen broad beans from last year) but if anything is left over that can't be frozen then it is given to friends or neighbours.
    If they don't want it then it is composted.

Comment

Originally posted by JILLY JACKSON View Post
      Two sheds,can i grow salad in winter somehow? That seems to be when the family want it.
      Yes Jilly, there are a number of varieties for winter growing, most varieties will grow in a heated glass house. These can be sown in autumn under cloches or in polytunnels for winter picking.

Winter Density

Rouge d'Hiver

Spinach-Winter Giant

Winter Purslane

Cress

Yellow Chard

Rainbow Chard

Chicory Palla Rossa

Spring Onion

Who says winter salad has to be bland and boring.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Hello Oleander, lettuce disappears to nothing when you cook it so add 1, 2 or 3 lettuce to the soup - whatever amount you have a surplus of.
        Never measures quantities but basically
        1 oz butter
        1 large onion
        1 teasp curry powder
        2 pints stock
        1 cup peas
        1,2 or 3 lettuce
        Will make soup for 4 to 6 people.
        Or double up and freeze it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'm with Two Sheds, space it all out with successional sowing. Little and often works a treat
          "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I agree with you Vegnut. I try to grow a good variety of veg over the longest period possible - and just enough for 2 people. But it's a fine art. I'm working on it all the time. Sometimes a couple of lettuce have to go in the soup.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I thought I had cracked the succession thing this year, but then the second sowing caught up with the first However, I have mainly grown lettuce which you can treat as 'cut and come again' so I am picking a few leaves from each.

Note to self : sow some more this weekend!
              Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by mrs dog View Post
                Just scrolling down and I saw that someone is using corgettes in marrow and ginger jam. How does that work. I always find my corgettes very nutty and don,t know if they would go sloppy enough for my liking? Let me know please cos marrow and ginger and rhubarb and ginger in fact anything with ginger is my favourite jam!
                Hey Mrs Dog

I'll type the recipe in proper later in the week when I've dug it out but basically you let your courgettes get to marrow size - or a bit smaller- chop them into pieces and put them into sugar overnight with lemon juice and fresh ginger. When you cook it all up it goes lovely and runny and the difficulty is getting a set on it!

Recipe to follow ...
                Last edited by T-lady; 04-06-2008, 04:45 PM.
                Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X