Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butternut Squash Problem 2years running!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butternut Squash Problem 2years running!

Planted seed early in pots and kept indoors. Healthy growth to 6inches high and then started putting outside for a week in late April to harden.
    Dug farmyard manure compost into trench and planted out in sheltered garden in early May.
    Plants deteriorated from bushy green to thin sick yellowing plants.
    I now have a few flowers which have been pollinated and I have small squash but still on sickly plants.
    This year I put three other plants into another part of the garden, straight into soil and same results, so not soil or location.
    Two years ago plants went into grow bags and grew brilliantly.

Any butternut wizards got any words of advice!!!

Hi wistow-wizard, welcome to the vine! Where are you based?

I don't really know, but if they have been out since early May I would guess that the cold weather might have upset them? It was really warm for a while in early May and then got cold and miserable again for a while. When did you plant last year's butternuts out?

We've never grown butternuts before and we're down to one plant as the slugs have eaten all the others. (Does anyone know, they need more than one plant to pollinate and produce fruit?)

Don't worry, someone'll be along soon who might be able to offer some sensible advice.
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

wistow wizard it definately sounds like it has been affected by the weather, late april is a little soon, depending where you are in the country could make it worse. And they will take a little time to show signs.
      Demeter you only need one plant, with good luck and weather they will produce male and female flowers and self pollinate, at least mine did last year.
      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Too early, too cold!
        They are tender plants, should be sown in May, planted out in June. As you have found, there is no benefit to sowing them too early. Try again ~ it's not too late now. I put some Butternuts in a cell tray last week, they're 2 inches high already.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Butternet Problem

I am based in Peterborough, not balmy south but not scotland. I had planted out in May two years ago in grow bags against a wall, might have been the difference. Soil may not have been warm enough. I have put another set of seeds in, fingers crossed!!
          Thanks all

Comment

I've not planted my squashes out yet. They can probably go out next week sometime.
            We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
            Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

I'd agree they were out too early Wistow Wizard. I grow them successfully in Scotland but I don't put them out til the weather has really warmed up - end of May. And they do need to hardened off quite carefully. If they are very soft when I first put them out I cover them with a bit of fleece (even if it's quite warm) til they used to feeling a bit of breeze etc. After that they're fine. Replant and good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

It's usually about mid April that I sow my seeds in pots, and I'm in the warm(ish) south and look to statrt hardening them ome time in May weather depending. Like others have aid, it ounds like they're being sown too early
                Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by vegnut View Post
                  Demeter you only need one plant, with good luck and weather they will produce male and female flowers and self pollinate, at least mine did last year.
                  Thanks, good to know!
                  Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X