Wooden crates for raised beds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden crates for raised beds?

I like the sound of raised beds, no digging etc. There is a warehouse close by to me that have open top wooden crates/palletsand are free to anyone who wants them. I was wondering if I could use these open ones as raised beds? They are approx 3ft wide and 2ft deep. I imagine I would need to line them, with what material?
    Thanks in advance.

Check out what shall I put in these by squashysu : )
    TGR

Comment

Lucky you Gail. You can certainly use them as raised beds. you can line them with porous weed suppressant membrane. Works a treat. Maybe you should get the heavy duty stuff. Should last for years.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks, could you give me a clue where to find it? I just used the search function and nothing came up.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
          Lucky you Gail. You can certainly use them as raised beds. you can line them with porous weed suppressant membrane. Works a treat. Maybe you should get the heavy duty stuff. Should last for years.
          Thanks Alice.

I was thinking bin liners lol If you don't ask then you never learn

Comment

Are the wooden walls quite thick, cos 3' x 2' is a lot of soil when wet. Wouldnt want them bursting at the seams
            "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Originally posted by vegnut View Post
              Are the wooden walls quite thick, cos 3' x 2' is a lot of soil when wet. Wouldnt want them bursting at the seams
              I am not sure but they look pretty sturdy. I just found the thread mentioned above by squashysu and they look similar if not identical to those. I will have a closer look tomorrow before making a decision on them.

Comment

Search posts by squashysu : )
                TGR

Comment

you can get extra strong weed membrane in Wilkinsons. They are really good for cheap garden stuff. Good quality too. )better than homebase and B&Q imho

Comment

I agree with hampsterqueen re: Wilkos membrane. Got our in B & Q (with the OAP discount!!) but Wilcos was still better value and they had it in brown. Know that doesn't make a difference to its usability but thought it was different and not so "in your face"

Comment

I have used pallets to build my raised planters though I have taken them apart and rebuilt them to suit. I prefer not to have the corner blocks on the inside as it can be a pain when turning the ground over with a spade. Having them on the outside has also made it easier to attach a bird and cat protector over the top as a temporary measure, if I can find a picture I'll post one.
                      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X