What kind of tomatoes are these?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of tomatoes are these?

My Dad planted 4 of these tomato plants in our greenhouse saying they were plum tomatoes. Can anyone tell what they are and whether they are determinate or indeterminate plants??

Last edited by rodofgod76; 07-06-2008, 12:16 PM.

I couldn't tell you from the leaf, but I'm sure someone else maybe along shortly who could. They look pretty healthy.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

It's not possible to identify it from the leaf, you'll have to wait until a tomato fruits and the shape will confirm it is a plum variety. You should remove the sideshoots that I notice you have, especially the ones just below the flower truss as these will take all the energy away from the fruit.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

That's the reason I was asking! Whether I should remove the side shoots. I removed some of the smaller ones this morning, then thought I better double check. Some of the side shoots had tiny flower buds on them. Will they still grow more flowers?

Comment

Hi
          If in doubt, I'd just let them be. Esp if the side shoots have flowers on them!

Comment

Just remember that each plant will only produce so much energy, if you leave the side shoots on and end up with more trusses, then the size of the tomatoes will suffer. The norm is to go for 4/6 trusses per plant and get some decent sized tomatoes.

Ian

Comment

They look like the potato leafed variety I am growing called Tamina! If they are................... they need side shoots removing!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Agree with you Snadger, I have some Tamina and they look identical to those in the picture.

Comment

They look like my Vintage Wine
                  See Vintage Wine Tomato Seeds
                  Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Thanks!!

I came in from work tonight and noticed that the leaves on the Money Maker's and Black Cherry tomato plants have curled up slightly. Is this normal? Or is there something wrong?

Oh, and I've just fitted a Gardman Auto Vent to my new GH. Which way do you turn the cylinder to increase the opening temperature? Tried turning it both ways but neither way seems to close the window at around 20 degrees. More like 13 degrees.

Comment

I agree with Capsid, they could be any of the potato leaf varieties.
                      I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

Just thought I'd post a pic of the tomatoes on these plants to see if any can identify them now.

Any ideas what they are now???

We also have these growing on the other side of the greenhouse. Can anyone ID them also?

Last edited by rodofgod76; 24-07-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

The top pic looks like "Marmande" to me - Flat, scalloped beefy tomato with thick flesh and sweet flavour. A favourite of many gardeners

The bottom pic i would say is plum, I had these last year but didn't get much as they were grown clearance stock from homebase.

Hope this helps and sorry if I am wrong
                          The Weeds are Winning...

Sleep just let me Sleep...

Comment

The bottom one is lemons
                            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
                              The bottom one is lemons

That's what I said the the Mrs this afternoon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X