Simply potatos

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simply potatos

Hi sorry to be a bore and ask what I am sure is a very obvious question - my first lot of potatos are flowering - I understand this means I have some potatos down there in fact dug some up to check!! but what do I do with the plant - do I dig the whole thing up or just take the potatos that are there and recover the roots in the hope of some more??? Do I harvest while they are flowering or do I have to wait until the flowers die off?? Oh its so confusing to a newbie like me

If you are careful you can pick off the bigger spuds and leave any small ones to grow on. Most people have a broggle or furtle to see what is under the soil and then decide how best to harvest. Enjoy them - there is nothing that tastes as good as a tattie you grew yourself!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Thank you, I'll look forward to having a broggle and a furtle!!

Comment

go the whole hog and have a shufty too!

Comment

...and a good fossick around while you're there!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder what I've got myself into here but it all sounds like good fun

Comment

Originally posted by stressedoutmum2 View Post
              Hi sorry to be a bore and ask what I am sure is a very obvious question - my first lot of potatos are flowering - I understand this means I have some potatos down there in fact dug some up to check!! but what do I do with the plant - do I dig the whole thing up or just take the potatos that are there and recover the roots in the hope of some more??? Do I harvest while they are flowering or do I have to wait until the flowers die off?? Oh its so confusing to a newbie like me
              Join the club! Glad you asked the question though - my pots are going mad - wasn't sure if it was normal or not lol!
              Best love

Steelsy
              xxx

www.myspace.com/steelsy

Comment

my pots are starting to flower but when i checked them they are at least a couple of weeks off being harvested

Comment

Ours are too. but as were on holiday for a fortnight, they will be just right when we get home.

Comment

I always dig the whole haulm up once I know there is a harvest underneath. Probably because I am always wanting the ground for the next crop. I tried some three weeks ago and they were a bit small (really nice though). I dug some yesterday and they are ready for harvesting so I will dig whenever I need potatoes now.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X